Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

'annoying pop ups;think I am infected'

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 8th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Hi Curlylad - speak to you soon - gosh there is loads to do - told you I am not too good with computers and that will take me a while to do - might have to leave it till weekend, as get in quite late from work.

Yes, I thought Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware are one and the same. Sorry!!!

Speak to you soon
Regards
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby curlylad » January 8th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Hi Chloe Pessoa

Hi Curlylad - speak to you soon - gosh there is loads to do - told you I am not too good with computers and that will take me a while to do - might have to leave it till weekend, as get in quite late from work.

Don't worry how long it takes, there is no rush.
I would rather you take your time and get it right.

Yes, I thought Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware are one and the same. Sorry!!!

No need to apologise, we are all here to learn. :)

I will leave this with you then and hope to hear from you at the weekend.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 13th, 2007, 7:12 pm

Hi Curlylad

I am back - thank you for waiting.

OK I couldnt find the 'Word' disk - think I lent it to friend, so will have to do that another time.

Anyway I did the majority of the things listed (but a couple of them when I went on the sites, it was not to my understanding). My Norton seems to have stopped working (kept getting a message to unistall and re-install)but it just wouldnt so I think I have tried to install it too many times and now it just wont let me. Can I do with out it? As honestly, it was not really doing anything to jump up and down about.

Computer seems fine and not so slow, so I think we are OK for the time being and NO NO NO no pop ups!!!! It is heaven being able to use the computer without the constant interruptions.

Are we now OK? Is the computer now clean?
Look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 13th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Hi Curlylad

Sorry to trouble you but I just did an AVG Scan and 21 objects found :

AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 00:15:48 14/01/2007

+ Scan result:

HKU\S-1-5-21-1715567821-261478967-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{0D045BAA-4BD3-4C94-BE8B-21536BD6BD9F} -> Adware.Generic : Cleaned.
HKU\S-1-5-21-1715567821-261478967-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{0D045BAA-4BD3-4C94-BE8B-21536BD6BD9F} -> Adware.Generic : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adbrite[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adbrite : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adrevolver[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adrevolver : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adtech[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adtech : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@advertising[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Advertising : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@atdmt[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@casalemedia[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Casalemedia : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@ads.guardian.co[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Co : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@doubleclick[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adopt.euroclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Euroclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@fastclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@media.fastclick[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@ehg-littlewoods.hitbox[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@hitbox[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@overture[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Overture : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@questionmarket[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tacoda[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tradedoubler[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tradedoubler : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tribalfusion[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Yieldmanager : Cleaned.

::Report end

I scanned this morning and found 2 - now tonight I find 21 - How can I stop these - close to throwing computer.

Me again - Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 16th, 2007, 5:58 pm

Good evening Chloe Pessoa

Nice to have you back !

OK we will continue on with your instructions but first let's go through some of the points you bought up.

OK I couldnt find the 'Word' disk - think I lent it to friend, so will have to do that another time.

That's fine, just remember when you do this to completely uninstall Microsoft Office Word, reboot, then try the installation again.

Anyway I did the majority of the things listed (but a couple of them when I went on the sites, it was not to my understanding).

Do not worry if there are things that you did not understand, please post back explaining which 'bits' you could not do and we will go through it again.

My Norton seems to have stopped working (kept getting a message to unistall and re-install)but it just wouldnt so I think I have tried to install it too many times and now it just wont let me. Can I do with out it? As honestly, it was not really doing anything to jump up and down about.

Let me just confirm - Do you wish to uninstall your Norton 2007 product ?

If you do then we can install a very good free Anti Virus for your systems protection.
This will also mean that we have to download and install a Firewall as well as your Norton Intenet Security 2007 includes a firewall.

Please Do Not uninstall Norton until you have posted back to confirm this first.

I scanned this morning and found 2 - now tonight I find 21 - How can I stop these - close to throwing computer.

The AVG Anti Spyware Report showed signs of items that can easily be dealt with.

Please do not throw your computer, believe me, they leave such a mess !

The items in the report were
  • Adware - We can easily locate and remove this minimal threat.
  • Cookies - The rest of the log showed 'cookies'

Cookies are just little packets of information held on a web site that help with your browsing experience.
They are basically harmless and in fact help when you visit a web site.

For more information on what cookies are and what they do please take the time to read through these 2 articles.

http://www.cookiecentral.com/n_cookie_faq.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

I think that has covered all the points you raised so now this is what I would like you to do
  • Please tell me which parts you did not understand, or could not complete in my last post to you.
  • Can you confirm that you wish to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2007, remember if you do we can get you a very good free Anti Virus program and a Firewall.
    Do Not attempt to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2007 until you have consulted me and I have explained the procedure to you.
  • Read the 2 articles on cookies that I provided for you.

Also please remember that we still have work to do so as soon as I receive the information I have requested from you then we can begin with your next instructions.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 16th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Hi Curlylad

1. Please lets uninstall Norton

2. Did not understand
Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK in SAFE MODE -
Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files
Check for any unnecessary running services (that Black Viper came up with too many things and I just didnt know which one to go to)
Remove any third party Memory Manager or Optimizer

Followed instructions as on list, but things either didnt have options or I just didnt know where to go when offered.

But I did create a new Restore Point!!!
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 18th, 2007, 1:33 pm

OK let's go through the points that you made

2. Did not understand
Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK in SAFE MODE -

We'll just run CHKDSK in normal mode, follow this instruction:-

How to run CHKDSK
  • Click My Computer
  • Right click C Drive
  • Select Properties, select the Tools tab
  • In the Error Checking section, click the Check Now button
  • A box now opens, click on the box Automatically fix file system errors
  • Do Not Select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • At the bottom of the box click the Start button
  • A box will now pop up telling you that the scan cannot be performed as something is in use,
    It will then ask if you wish to schedule a scan next time the system starts - select Yes
  • Exit everything and reboot your system
  • On reboot you will be met with a light blue screen, you will be informed that a scan is about to commence
  • Leave the CHKDSK to run
  • When it has finished the system will then continue to boot up as normal.

Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files

This is asking you to run a tool built into Windows called the System File Checker

What this tool does is check for missing, corrupt or damaged files.
When it finds one it will ask you to insert your Windows XP CD-ROM and it will delete the bad file and replace it with the undamaged one on the CD-ROM.

To do that follow this instruction

• Click Start, click Run
  • In the Open: dialog box copy and paste the following line into that box

sfc /scannow
  • Click OK
  • The System File Checker will now begin to scan your system.
    The screen will look like this

• You may be asked to insert your Microsoft Windows CD-ROM, please do so if requested.
  • The utility will check the system files and automatically replace any that it finds necessary
  • When it has finished it will close itself.

Check for any unnecessary running services (that Black Viper came up with too many things and I just didnt know which one to go to)

Don't worry, copy and paste the list back here and I will look at it for you.

Remove any third party Memory Manager or Optimizer

Your log does not show signs of one of these anyway so do not worry about this.

Follow the instructions above and post me a fresh HijackThis log.

I will review the new information and get back to you as soon as possible.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 18th, 2007, 3:43 pm

This is that Viper bit:
Editor's Note: This information was originally created and belongs to Black Viper (Dead link, obviously). We have reproduced it, in large part until the original website returns, if ever. There were a lot of pages, so if you dig far enough reading it here, you will eventually hit dead links from older pages we do not have. The original scripts are also available for download.

Do not use msconfig to disable services. Type in the Run box "services.msc" instead!
Before disabling ANY service, check out the information listed about each service by clicking on the name.
Only disable a few services at a time to avoid changing "50" settings and trying to figure out "what broke it."
Still unsure? Put your setting to "manual" or the listing under "Safe." Manual allows Windows XP to start the service when it needs to (or when ever it feels like it,) but not at boot up. NOTE: Depending on your configuration, not all services will start when required while in Manual mode. If you find you need a service, place it in Auto.
After adjusting your service settings, reboot your computer.
If you do not have some of these services listed, don't panic! If your computer manufacture "pre-installed" your XP, they choose not to have certain services installed for you.
Notes

Disabling all of the "unneeded services" frees up 12-70MB of RAM, depending on system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display Name ~ Is how it is displayed in the Services Control Panel
Service Name ~ Is what the service is called, usually the "short" name
Process Name ~ Name of the Process running in the background (displayed in Task Manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del)
Dependencies ~ What other services this service needs to run
Need it? ~ From what I have concluded by trial and error and also the services that I have found pointless.
MINE ~ My configuration & recommended to start. Cross between Gaming (Power User) & Safe configuration.
DEFAULT Pro ~ What Microsoft thinks should be running on Windows XP Professional.
"SAFE" Configuration ~ This is the configuration that 95% of the people will be able to use with little side effects. It will also minimizes the amount of "errors" that is reported in the Event Viewer. This does NOT guarantee it will work for you, but if you are scared, this configuration should be a good starting point.
Internet Gateway Configuration ~ Setup to allow multiple computers on a network to share one internet connection access point using Microsoft's "Internet Connection Sharing and Personal Firewall" software. If you do not have this type of setup, compare the differences between "SAFE" and "GAMING" to find a middle ground that works for your system.
Gaming Configuration ~ The power user setup. DO NOT JUMP RIGHT TO THIS CONFIGURATION. This setup is a system that connects through a network to the internet, provides file and print sharing resources and gaming enjoyment. Some things MAY not function with this setup. No passwords are saved. It is not intended for a computer with analog modems or some DSL/cable connections. Try "Internet Gateway" Configuration first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP Professional Services Configurations
Display Name Service Name Process Name Dependencies Need it?
(Vital, Yes, Maybe, No, Not Installed, Never) MINE DEFAULT
Pro "SAFE" Internet Gateway Gaming
Alerter Alerter services.exe Workstation No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Application Layer Gateway Service ALG alg.exe None Maybe. Disabled Manual Manual Auto Disabled
Application Management AppMgmt svchost.exe None Yes. Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual
Auto Updates wuauserv svchost.exe None Maybe. Disabled Auto Auto Auto Disabled
Background Intelligent Transfer Service BITS svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Workstation No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
ClipBook ClipSrv clipsrv.exe Network DDE No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
COM+ Event System EventSystem svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
COM+ System Application COMSysApp dllhost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
Computer Browser Browser svchost.exe Server, Workstation Maybe. Disabled Auto Manual Auto Disabled
Cryptographic Services CryptSvc svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Manual Auto Auto Auto Disabled

DHCP Client Dhcp svchost.exe AFD Networking Support Environment, NetBios over TCP/IP, TCP/IP Protocol Driver Maybe. Auto Auto Auto Disabled Auto
Distributed Link Tracking Client TrkWks svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Auto Manual Disabled Disabled
Distributed Transaction Coordinator MSDTC msdtc.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Security Accounts Manager No. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
DNS Client Dnscache svchost.exe TCP/IP Protocol Driver No. Disabled Auto Auto Disabled Disabled
Error Reporting Service ERSvc svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Never. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Event Log Eventlog services.exe None Yes. Auto Auto Auto Auto Auto
Fast User Switching Compatibility FastUserSwitching Compatibility svchost.exe Terminal Services No. Manual Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
Fax Service FAX fxssvc.exe Plug and Play, Print Spooler, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Telephony Not Installed. Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
FTP Publishing Service inetinfo.exe IIS Admin Not Installed. Not Available Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed

Help and Support helpsvc svchost,exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Human Interface Device Access HidServ svchost,exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IIS Admin IISADMIN inetinfo.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Security Accounts Manager Not Installed. Not Available Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service ImapiService imapi.exe None Maybe. Disabled Manual Auto Disabled Disabled
Indexing Service cisvc cisvc.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Never. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing SharedAccess svchost.exe Application Layer Gateway Service, Network Connections, Network Location Awareness, Remote Access Connection Manager Maybe. Disabled Auto Auto Auto Disabled
IPSEC Services PolicyAgent lsass,exe IPSEC driver, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), TCP/IP Protocol Driver No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Logical Disk Manager dmserver svchost.exe Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Disabled Auto Manual Disabled Disabled
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service dmadmin dmadmin.exe Logical Disk Manager, Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
Message Queuing mqsvc.exe Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Message Queuing access control, NT LM Security Support Provider, Reliable Multicast Protocol driver, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Server Not Installed. Not Available Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed

Message Queuing Triggers mqtgsvc.exe Message Queuing Not Installed. Not Available Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
Messenger Messenger services.exe NetBIOS Interface, Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Workstation No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider SwPrv dllhost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
Net Login Netlogon lsass.exe Workstation No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing mnmsrvc mnmsrvc.exe None Never. Manual Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Network Connections Netman svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Vital. Manual Manual Auto Auto Manual
Network DDE NetDDE netdde.exe Network DDE DSDM No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Network DDE DSDM NetDDE dsdm netdde.exe AFD Networking Support Enviroment, TCP/IP Protocol Driver No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Nla svchost.exe None Maybe. Disabled Manual Manual Auto Disabled
NT LM Security Support Provider NtLmSsp lsass.exe None No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled

Performance Logs and Alerts SysmonLog smlogsvc.exe None Never. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Plug and Play PlugPlay services.exe None Vital. Auto Auto Auto Auto Auto
Portable Media Serial Number WmdmPmSp svchost.exe None Never. Manual Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Print Spooler Spooler spoolsv.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Auto Auto Auto Auto Auto
Protected Storage ProtectedStorage lsass.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Auto Auto Auto Auto Disabled
QoS RSVP RSVP rsvp.exe AFD Networking Support Environment, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), TCP/IP Protocol Driver No Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager RasAuto svchost.exe Remote Access Connection Manager, Telephony Maybe. Manual Manual Manual Auto Disabled
Remote Access Connection Manager RasMan svchost.exe Telephony Maybe. Manual Manual Manual Auto Disabled
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager RDSessMgr sessmgr.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) RpcSs svchost.exe None (but everything depends on IT!) Vital. Auto Auto Auto Auto Auto

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator RpcLocator locator.exe Workstation No. Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual
Remote Registry Service RemoteRegistry svchost.exe None Never. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Removable Storage NtmsSvc svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
RIP Listener svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Not Installed. Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
Routing and Remote Access RemoteAccess svchost.exe NetBIOSGroup, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Secondary Logon seclogon svchost.exe None No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Security Accounts Manager SamSs lsass.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Server lanmanserver svchost.exe None Maybe. Auto Auto Auto Auto Disabled
Shell Hardware Detection ShellHWDetection svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Disabled Auto Auto Disabled Disabled
Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) SMTPSVC inetinfo.exe Event Log, IIS Admin Not Installed. Not Available Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed

Simple TCP/IP Services tcpsvcs.exe AFD Networking Support Environment Not Installed. Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
Smart Card SCardSvr SCardSvr.exe Plug and Play Never. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Smart Card Helper SCardDrv SCardSvr.exe None Never. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
SNMP Service snmp.exe Event Log Not Installed. Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
SNMP Trap Service snmptrap.exe Event Log Not Installed. Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
SSDP Discovery Service SSDPSRV svchost.exe None No. Manual Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
System Event Notification SENS svchost.exe COM+ Event System No. Disabled Auto Auto Disabled Disabled
System Restore Service srservice svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Never. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Task Scheduler Schedule svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Disabled Auto Auto Disabled Disabled
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service LmHosts svchost.exe AFD Networking Support Enviroment, NetBios over TCP/IP No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled

TCP/IP Printer Server LPDSVC tcpsvcs.exe Print Spooler, TCP/IP Protocol Driver Not Installed. Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed
Telephony TapiSrv svchost.exe Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Maybe. Manual Manual Manual Auto Disabled
Telnet TlntSvr tlntsvr.exe NT LM Security Support Provider, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), TCP/IP Protocol Driver Never. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Terminal Services TermService svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
Themes Themes svchost.exe None No. Disabled Auto Auto Disabled Disabled
Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS ups.exe None No. Disabled Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Universal Plug and Play Device Host UPNPhost svchost.exe SSDP Discovery Service No. Manual Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Upload Manager uploadmgr svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Volume Shadow Copy VSS vssvc.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Manual Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
WebClient WebClient svchost.exe WebDav Client Redirector Never. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled

Windows Audio AudioSrv svchost.exe Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Vital. Auto Auto Auto Disabled (no sound card in this system) Auto
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) stisvc svchost.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Manual Manual Manual Disabled Disabled
Windows Installer MSIServer msiexec.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Yes. Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual
Windows Management Instrumentation Minmgmt svchost.exe Event Log, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Vital. Auto Auto Auto Auto Auto
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extension Wmi svchost.exe None Yes. Manual Manual Manual Manual Manual
Windows Time W32Time svchost.exe None No. Disabled Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
Wireless Zero Configuration WZCSVC svchost.exe NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Manual Auto Disabled Disabled Disabled
WMI Performance Adapter WmiApSrv wmiapsrv.exe Remote Procedure Call (RPC) No. Manual Manual Disabled Disabled Disabled
Workstation lanmanworkstation svchost.exe None (but plenty depend on it...) Vital. Auto Auto Auto Auto Auto
World Wide Web Publishing Service W3SVC inetinfo.exe IIS Admin No. Not Available Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed Not Installed

Totally beyond me this part!!!!

Up to date HijackThis Log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:41:59, on 18/01/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BTHOME~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\secstat.exe
C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: eBay Toolbar Helper - {22D8E815-4A5E-4DFB-845E-AAB64207F5BD} - C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTB.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: eBay Toolbar - {92085AD4-F48A-450D-BD93-B28CC7DF67CE} - C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTB.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTHOME~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YOP] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe /autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWRISOVM.EXE] C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: BT Broadband Desktop Help.lnk = C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &eBay Search - res://C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTb.dll/RCSearch.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\npjpi150_10.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\npjpi150_10.dll
O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar ... /cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan ... asinst.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 18th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Hi Curlylad

I have uninstalled and installed 'Office 2003' and word is still not responding when you try to use the drop down arrow to get into folders

Any ideas?

Also when opening screens they seem to be coming up bit at a time instead of whole page popping up.

Regards
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 18th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Chloe Pessoa

Before I can continue to formulate the next instructions I need the following information, I cannot continue without it.
Please answer these questions as soon as possible.
  1. Did you run CHKDSK yes or no ?
  2. Did you run the System File Checker yes or no ?
  3. Do you wish to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2007 yes or no ?
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 19th, 2007, 5:30 am

Hi Curlylad

1. CHKDSK yes
2. System File Checker yes
3. uninstall Norton Internet Security 2007 YES PLEASE

Regards
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 19th, 2007, 4:03 pm

Here are your next instructions

STEP 1

Download Programs

I need you to download 2 programs now to replace your Norton Internet Security 2007.

The first one is a free to use Anti Virus program called AVG Free Edition.
  • Please download AVG Free Edition from here AVG Anti Virus Download Link.
  • Click Save and download to your Desktop
  • Once it has download Do not click the AVG download installation link on your desktop, please wait until I ask you to do this.

The second program is a Firewall called Zone Alarm.
  • Please download Zone Alarm from here Zone Alarm Firewall Download Link.
  • Click Save and download to your Desktop
  • Once it has download Do not click the Zone Alarm download installation link on your desktop, please wait I ask you to do this.

STEP 2

Update Java

I need you to update Java again as there is a newer version now available.

You are using an old version of Java. Sun's Java is sometimes updated in order to eliminate the exploitation of perceived vulnerabilities in an existing version. For this reason, it's extremely important that you keep the program up to date, and also remove the older more vulnerable versions from your system. The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment Version 6 .

To check your version to see if it is the latest version, Please go to this link to verify your version to get the updates needed:

You'll need to use IE and allow ActiveX for this update. Follow the instructions on that page to verify Your Java software.

Or you can get the manual download here:

Once you have installed the latest update, please go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all older instances of Java listed there.

VERY IMPORTANT

Please now disconnect from the Internet before moving on to the next step.

STEP 3

Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2007

To do that please follow STEP 1 and STEP 2 from this document

Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2007.

STEP 4

Install AVG Anti Virus

Please now double click the AVG Anti Virus installation icon on your desktop and simply follow the on screen prompts.

Install Zone Alarm

Please now double click the Zone Alarm Firewall installation icon on your desktop and simply follow the on screen prompts.

After the installation of Zone Alarm if you were not asked to reboot your system then please do it now.

STEP 5

Generate an Uninstall List/fresh HijackThis log
  • Open HijackThis, click Do a system scan and save a log file
  • Save the log file to your Desktop
  • Click the Config button, click the Misc Tools button
  • Click the Open Uninstall Manager button
  • Click the Save List... button, save to your Desktop
  • Exit HijackThis

STEP 6

Report Back
  • Please post back the HijackThis Log
  • The Uninstall List
  • Please tell me how the system is running, are there any problems ?

I will review the new information and post back soon
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 19th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Hi Curlylad

I have done Steps 1 and 2 - however I am unable to remove all of Norton as it keeps coming up with 'error - send report to Symantec'
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 21st, 2007, 2:12 pm

Chloe Pessoa

From what I can gather from your last post you are connected to the internet without an Anti Virus or Firewall active.

Please print out a copy of the following instructions for your reference as we will be booting into Safe Mode and the Internet will be unavailable.

Please disconnect from the Internet now

STEP 1

Boot into Safe Mode

To do that follow this instruction.
  • Click Start
  • Click Turn Off Computer
  • Click Restart
  • As the system starts to reboot tap the F8 key
  • A list of Advanced Options should now be visible , highlight Safe Mode using the keyboard arrow buttons and click the Enter button
  • The system should now start in Safe Mode.

STEP 2

Use HijackThis
  • Open HijackThis
  • Click the button Do a system scan only
  • Place atick or check mark next to the following entries highlighted below

O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar ... /cabsa.cab
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

• Now click the Fix Checked button
  • Click the Config button
  • Click the Misc Tools button
  • Click the Delete an NT Service button
  • Enter the following entries One at a time and click OK

Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler
    ccEvtMgr
    ccSetMgr
    CLTNetCnService
    Live Update
    Symantec Core LC

• Close HijackThis

STEP 3

Delete Folders
  • Click My Computer
  • Double click C Drive
  • Double click Program Files
  • Find the Folder Symantec, right click it and click Delete
  • Double click the Folder Common Files
  • Find the Folder Symantec Shared, right click it and click Delete

PLEASE NOTE - If you receive an error message, right click the folder, choose Properties and check if the Read only attribute box is checked.If it is uncheck it and try the procedure again.

STEP 4

Uninstall Norton

There is a very good chance that when we attempt the following procedure that the entry we are looking for has gone.
This is as a result of the above steps, however please go through this as a precaution.
  • Click Start, click Control Panel
  • Click Add or Remove Programs
  • Find and click on the entry Norton Internet Security (Symantec Corporation)
  • Click Remove, click Remove All, click Next
  • In the Norton Internet Security has been successfully removed dialog box, click Restart Windows now (recommended).
  • Click Finish

Your system will now reboot into Normal Mode

STEP 5

Install AVG Anti Virus

Please now double click the AVG Anti Virus installation icon on your desktop and simply follow the on screen prompts.

Install Zone Alarm

Please now double click the Zone Alarm Firewall installation icon on your desktop and simply follow the on screen prompts.

After the installation of Zone Alarm if you were not asked to reboot your system then please do it now.

Please now reconnect to the Internet

STEP 6

Generate an Uninstall List/fresh HijackThis log
  • Open HijackThis, click Do a system scan and save a log file
  • Save the log file to your Desktop
  • Click the Config button, click the Misc Tools button
  • Click the Open Uninstall Manager button
  • Click the Save List... button, save to your Desktop
  • Exit HijackThis

STEP 7

Report Back
  • Please post back the HijackThis Log
  • The Uninstall List
  • Please tell me how the system is running, are there any problems ?
  • Did the removal of Norton complete successfully ?
  • Did the installation of AVG and Zone Alarm complete successfully ?

I will review the new information and post back any furthernecessray steps as soon as possible.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 22nd, 2007, 3:33 pm

Hi Curlylad

I have done Step 1 and got onto Step 2 - however when I try to delete an NT Service these are the results:

Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - 'The service you entered is system critical! It can't be deleted
ccEvtMgr - 'The Service ccEvtMgr is enabled and/or running. Disable it first, using HijackThis Itself (from the Scan results) or the Service.msc window'
ccSetMgr - 'The Service ccEvtMgr is enabled and/or running. Disable it first, using HijackThis Itself (from the Scan results) or the Service.msc window'
CLTNetCnService - 'The Service ccEvtMgr is enabled and/or running. Disable it first, using HijackThis Itself (from the Scan results) or the Service.msc window'
Live Update 'Live Updae was not found in registry make sure you entered the shortname of the service., vbExclamation'
Symantec Core LC - 'The service you entered is system critical! It can't be deleted

All the others were deleted from the scan, but when I went back again on a couple of occasions to try and delete them in the beginning of step 2 they were still there and could not delete them.

I hate to say this - but my patience is wearing thin - and I am sure yours must be also.
Regards
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext