Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Scanning a computer with Windows 95

Please leave any suggestions and requests here - NO HIJACKTHIS LOGS

Scanning a computer with Windows 95

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 1st, 2007, 8:14 am

Hi

The old computer of my family, bought 1997 and running with Windows 95, has been running really slowly for years.. When it was connected to internet, it had e.g. no firewall. I just got curious and would like to scan it with some spyware removal program which works on that operating system. Could anyone recommend me some program and how to get it to the computer? It doesn't read burned cd's so I cannot use them.. I have an "adapter" which makes me possible to use 3,5 inch diskettes on brand new computers. But many installation programs are larger than the capacity of a diskette. And the update then.. So could anyone tell me what to do? Thanks!
Teme-84

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Scanning a computer with Windows 95

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 1st, 2007, 8:15 am

Hi

The old computer of my family, bought 1997 and running with Windows 95, has been running really slowly for years.. When it was connected to internet, it had e.g. no firewall. I just got curious and would like to scan it with some spyware removal program which works on that operating system. Could anyone recommend me some program and how to get it to the computer? It doesn't read burned cd's so I cannot use them.. I have an "adapter" which makes me possible to use 3,5 inch diskettes on brand new computers. But many installation files of spyware removal programs are larger than the capacity of a diskette. And the update then.. So could anyone tell me what to do? Thanks!
Teme-84

Unread postby Nellie2 » January 1st, 2007, 10:33 am

CCleaner will work on W95 and will just about fit on a diskette, Avast Antivirus will also work on W95... but won't fit on a diskette, you would have to download that one directly!

I don't know of any current anti malware programs that will work on a W95 platform now :(
Nellie2
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Katana » January 1st, 2007, 10:42 am

Hi Teme-84.

Can you connect to the internet?
If not, because of no modem, then how about a network card they are cheap.
That way you could do an online scan, maybe ?
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby random/random » January 1st, 2007, 12:11 pm

HijackThis should work and will easily fit on a floppy, and you can use a floppy to transfer the log back to your PC.

@Katana, network cards are cheap but most of them aren't going to have drivers for windows 95.
random/random
Developer
Developer

Unread postby random/random » January 1st, 2007, 12:22 pm

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 can work under Windows 95 and you can get it here

Seehere if you have problems.

However, you'd need to connect to the internet to update it.
random/random
Developer
Developer

Unread postby Katana » January 1st, 2007, 7:29 pm

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wired_networkcard_fa311.php

Netgear FA311 has '95 drivers available :D

£11.29 from amazon
It was only a thought :)
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 2nd, 2007, 5:22 am

Thanks for answers.. Sorry for my double post in the beginning :D The purpose was just to edit the first message. No I can't connect the old computer to internet.. But I noticed it reads CD-R discs! So I don't need floppy disks. I must try the older Spybot then. Thanks for all tips!
Teme-84

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 3rd, 2007, 8:16 am

By the way, can I use those beta versions of Spybot 1.4? Or exactly 1.3?
Teme-84

Unread postby random/random » January 3rd, 2007, 8:24 am

As far as I know, Spybot 1.3 is the one that can work with windows 95
random/random
Developer
Developer

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 3rd, 2007, 11:16 am

random/random wrote:As far as I know, Spybot 1.3 is the one that can work with windows 95

I installed it at my mother's computer.. To copy the files to cd and then copy them to the old computer. BUT, I was not able to update the program.. It just complained "Bad checksum". I used 1.4 to download the definitions, and copied to the folder in 1.3. Will it work now?
Teme-84

Unread postby tashi » January 3rd, 2007, 5:20 pm

Hi there.

A Bad Checksum indicates that the MD5 hash value of the downloaded file did not match the expected MD5 hash value of that file. In other words, the file downloaded file was not received correctly.

This can usually be overcome by changing the download server.

Using the pull-down site selection menu, inbetween "Search for Updates" and "Download Updates", select another server.

After changing the download server click "Download Updates" again.

I find that XTeq (Germany) is usually reliable.

Hope that helps. :)
tashi
Visiting Staff

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 4th, 2007, 6:05 am

Still the same problem :(
Teme-84

Unread postby ChrisRLG » January 4th, 2007, 10:11 am

Hi

tashi is the best you can get with spybot (she is spybots own forum manager :) ).

So lets give her some status info to work with.

Confirm if you are using 1.3 or 1.4 version of spybot
Op system is win95 - is that gold - B or C version.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Teme-84 » January 13th, 2007, 5:24 am

I will try those updates mentioned on Spybot site.. Just another question. According to webattack.com Spyware Doctor and SpySweeper would run on Windows 95. Is that right?
Teme-84

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next

Return to Suggestions and Requests