Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Comodo Firewall

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Comodo Firewall

Unread postby W33NIe » December 26th, 2006, 2:08 am

Hi,

I have used Norton and ZoneAlarm in the past. Norton was useless, but ZoneAlarm was really good. Lately, however, it had been crashing my system (would not start up/shut down properly, laggy, ate all my RAM, and updates would not work). I didn't know it was ZA that was doing it until I removed it. I was scared, being unprotected and all..and windows firewall seemed weak. I found comodo firewall. Heard some really nice things about it. It passed the one leak test I did (I tried another one, but CyberHawk took care of it quickly). I have a few questions

Does anyone else have problems with ZoneAlarm (antivirus)?
Is comodo as strong as ZA?
I am getting (making) a new computer, and the mobo comes with that dang Norton Internet Security software. Should I keep the extra layer of defence, or should i get rid of it?
and...I am starting a home network, I would appreciate some help. I read some guides on the subject, don't get it 100% though.

Thanks.
W33NIe

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » December 26th, 2006, 2:48 am

Should I keep the extra layer of defence, or should i get rid of it?

Only one firewall...
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby MMJ » December 26th, 2006, 4:57 am

Norton and Zonealarm what?
MMJ

Unread postby chryssi2001 » December 26th, 2006, 5:20 am

I had Zone Alarm Firewall installed and was tired of the notices it was giving so i installed Sunbelt Kerio personal Firewall (free version) and it works fine.
You can try Comodo for a while and if it doesn't suit to you, you can change it to another one.

Here are the link to 2 free firewalls including Kerio.
Outpost
Kerio
chryssi2001
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Katana » December 26th, 2006, 6:15 am

Comodo does seem to keep giving pop-ups, even for things that I have already allowed like MSN and Firefox :cry:
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby random/random » December 27th, 2006, 7:38 am

You can try the solution for that here
random/random
Developer
Developer

Unread postby chryssi2001 » December 27th, 2006, 11:30 am

@ random/random

Your link is not working for me can you check it out please?
chryssi2001
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Magister » December 27th, 2006, 12:21 pm

The link works fine here :?
Magister

Unread postby Katana » December 27th, 2006, 12:34 pm

random/random wrote:You can try the solution for that here

Ok done that :D
Now we'll see if it behaves :lol:
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby chryssi2001 » December 27th, 2006, 12:56 pm

The link works fine now.
chryssi2001
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby AQ2 » December 27th, 2006, 12:57 pm

I have been using comodo for sometime and it seems to do really good.Only thing i do not like is the OLE popup .Not sure what it means. but when i have winamp playing and i go to open up a web page i get a popup saything something about OLE and if i block it. It would not let me view the page.

Thats the only problem i have with it.
AQ2

Comodo popups..

Unread postby a1sound » April 22nd, 2007, 2:39 am

Don't be so quick to disregard the popups!

I was angry that requests to get on the Net came from clients that I had previously given permission to and that now these settings were ignored. Then I actually read the popups. Some oddball exe or dll was using a permitted client to get on the Net, and I had missed it. Now, I read them all.

I'm fighting a tracker that is very persistent and invasive. Between Comodo and "netstat -b 10" running in a DOS window, I have a better idea what's going on.

If you want to change the level of the alerts, run the Comodo client, at the top select "SECURITY", at the side select "Advanced", under "Miscellaneous" tick on "Configure...", and slide the level for alerts where you like. The protection remains the same.

Between my router sending bad outside WAN requests to a non existant host on my LAN and Comodo keeping the badboys sequestered on the inside by not letting them call Mommy, I can lock down a problem easily. I only wish I had known how to do this before I acquired the unwanted baggage.

Comodo is rated #1 or #2 among all the firewalls. Zone Alarm is sadly near the bottom of the barrel. Go to http://www.grc.com and follow your nose to the Shields UP! test. The best part of Comodo is that it is full featured, it is infinitely upgradable, and it is FREE.

Comodo is well written and will learn from your choices. You can add some pretty tight rules if you want or you can just let it do its thing. Having run AtGuard for years until it just wouldn't run well on xp--AtGuard has had zero support since 1998--I tried several other firewalls. Most were bundled with bloatware and couldn't get out of their own way. They were impossible to configure and were laced with Nagware that didn't sit well in a stressed situation. Comodo has the best of AtGuard and the ease of Zone Alarm. It's tight.

Zone Alarm let my badboys in and out and lied to me about the whole thing. It was too easily compromised. Comodo allows me to control an infected system. Give it another try.

Cheers,
Buzz.
a1sound

Unread postby IndigoRed » April 25th, 2007, 5:55 am

I just loaded up Comodo and did the "sheilds up" test. Perfect scores! I'm impressed. And so far I don't "feel" any bloat from it. Did try Zone Alarm and it felt like I tossed a ton of weight on the pc (ala Norton...). And considering this thing is a PIII 933 (don't laugh, it works!) that's saying alot about a firewall.
IndigoRed

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions