Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

MS Virtual PC

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

MS Virtual PC

Unread postby kao321 » December 11th, 2006, 8:09 pm

How do you make the graphic card of my computer( the host) to go onto the Virtual Pc?

I use ATI graphic card...on my VPC, it says Microsoft's graphic card :shock:
kao321

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Jhay116 » December 11th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Might want to repost here:

http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=84

It's the VPC forum. ;)
Jhay116

Unread postby silver » December 11th, 2006, 9:56 pm

You don't get to use your real hardware as the hardware for a virtual PC, you only get to use the VPC emulated hardware, and all the options you have available for virtualized hardware can be seen in the configuration screen. If you are after 3D video support, it isn't in VPC 2004 or 2007. It's very similar on VMWare Server too.
silver

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » December 11th, 2006, 11:28 pm

As has been said, VPC uses virtual hardware for the guest operating system. If you are looking to test out high end 3D graphics, the Virtual PC is not what you are looking for. VPC also doesn't support USB. So using USB sticks and USB hard drives won't work either. It will recognize USB mice and keyboards used by the host system. VPC is free, unlike VMWare, though.

What we use it for is to test malware and antispyware programs. Another good use was testing IE 7 without having it on a real system to see how it works.

Here's a good podcast and transcript of VPC and VMWare from Steve Gibson's Security Now section of GRC.com

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-057.htm
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby kao321 » December 12th, 2006, 1:02 am

Is there any way to connect the ATI RAge adapter to the VPC though? Or not... :(

Anyways....

VPC's downloads will not affect the host computer right? So if I download spyware/malware on purpose to try and remove it, the malware won't leak out onto the host computer?

Would you recommend Sandboxie, VMware, or VPC? (i dont know what sanboxie is, so i guess ill try it out... :) )

Thanks all and merry christmas :)
kao321

Unread postby silver » December 12th, 2006, 2:17 am

Is there any way to connect the ATI RAge adapter to the VPC though? Or not...

The short answer is no.

VPC's downloads will not affect the host computer right? So if I download spyware/malware on purpose to try and remove it, the malware won't leak out onto the host computer?

Malware *can* move from a VPC to a host computer, how it can happen depends on the malware, the VPC setup and what the user does. It's only as safe as a real computer, and an infected real computer can infect others.

Would you recommend Sandboxie, VMware, or VPC? (i dont know what sanboxie is, so i guess ill try it out... Smile )

Nick-YF19 linked to Security Now #57 above, that podcast covers VPC & VMWare in detail, and #55 covers sandboxie; those should give you the info you need.
silver

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)