Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Doom For Anti-Spyware Software?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Doom For Anti-Spyware Software?

Unread postby Angoid » November 23rd, 2006, 11:07 am

Hmmm ... I'd very much doubt it :lol:

A Yankee Group report published today predicts imminent doom for anti-spyware makers with the release of Windows Vista. But don't plan a funeral for WebRoot and Ad-Aware just yet. First, Microsoft has to sell the darned operating system.

Read the full article.

Discovered it while searching for something work-related (anyone here a whiz at Business Objects?!?!?!!)
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Orac » November 23rd, 2006, 11:36 am

The bigger security issue for Jaquith is the new User Access Control (UAC), which is designed to offer fine-grain security over the system but may prove a royal nuisance because it prompts the user for approval of normally minor tasks.

So users will be turning that off within 5 minutes, GREAT, lots of work for everyone - NOT :roll:
Orac
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » November 23rd, 2006, 12:27 pm

The question is, would you trust the creators of Internet Explorer, and operating systems that are so riddled with holes that they need security patches every month, to be in sole charge of the security on your system.

I think not!
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Katana » November 23rd, 2006, 3:25 pm

Gary R wrote:The question is, would you trust the creators of Internet Explorer, and operating systems that are so riddled with holes that they need security patches every month, to be in sole charge of the security on your system.

I think not!

I wouldn't let micro-soft-in-the-head run security on a church jumble-sale :D
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Angoid » November 24th, 2006, 5:14 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft buy out Giant Anti-Spyware? If so, then the M$ anti-spyware product isn't their own, unless ths Vista one is a different one.

However, a multi-layer approach to security is the best: there will be people who think that because Vista has an anti-spyware built in that this will solve all their malicious code problems.

As we all know here, this is not the case. Even with the Vista anti-spyware package, I'd want others laying around on my system because what some catch, others miss, and vice-versa.
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Unread postby Gary R » November 24th, 2006, 9:26 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft buy out Giant Anti-Spyware?

Yes, and it was a v.good product, but M$ have had it long enough to muck it up completely. :D :D
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Angoid » November 24th, 2006, 9:47 am

Yes .... there is that minor detail :lol:
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Unread postby Maik » November 26th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Gary R wrote:The question is, would you trust the creators of Internet Explorer, and operating systems that are so riddled with holes that they need security patches every month, to be in sole charge of the security on your system.

Nope.

Anyone here going to rush out and buy Vista? Think I'll give it a long, hard, look before I consider it. If, after a year, it's as good as MS claim, I might seriously consider it.

I expect I'll be sticking with XP until my pc expires.
Maik

Unread postby Angoid » November 27th, 2006, 3:47 am

I think that view is fairly common, Maik .... also, you need a fairly beefy PC to run Vista anyway, which is another deterrant.

I bought a laptop about a year ago, and it won't be Vista-ready (it has 768MB Ram, and they recommend at least 1GB, although I can upgrade it to 1GB, still not good to run with the lowest recommended amount of memory).

Also, I think the graphics card is only 64MB, and you'll need a 128MB card to take full advantage of Vista.

All this costs money .... who's going to shell out for a new OS that may be riddled with bugs?

Also, XP was billed as Microsoft's "most secure OS ever" and they've been using the same line to describe Vista.

Not that I'm trying to be negative or pessimistic, but you do have to consider these things :D
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Unread postby MMJ » November 27th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Angoid wrote:I bought a laptop about a year ago, and it won't be Vista-ready (it has 768MB Ram, and they recommend at least 1GB, although I can upgrade it to 1GB, still not good to run with the lowest recommended amount of memory).

I have ran Vista with 512mb and it works excellent. A 64mb video card is fine but it just won't run AERO
MMJ

Unread postby Maik » November 27th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Maik

Unread postby KillSpyware » November 29th, 2006, 7:48 pm

I have Vista Ultimate and have got used to what some people call the nag feature lol, I don't mind it now. I can honestly say that Malware removal software wont seize to exist even using Vista lol.

It's good, yes alot better than XP but even the best security can be breached unfortunately. :(
KillSpyware

Unread postby Maik » November 30th, 2006, 8:43 am

A selection from an article at the BBC:

Microsoft's new operating system, Windows Vista, starts its global roll-out on Thursday, being first made available to business customers. The system, a replacement for the firm's current Windows XP operating system, will not be available to home consumers until the end of January.
Microsoft predicts that Vista will be the fastest-selling operating system to date.

Most analysts believe that Vista will dominate computer desktops in about two years' time.

The company says that Vista is designed to be much more secure than any of its previous operating systems, while home users can look forward to much better game play and the integration of Microsoft's media centre into the main operating system.

The XP successor will come in six versions, from very simple installations for low-powered computers to fully-loaded corporate editions.

Vista's success is crucial to Microsoft's finances.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6158719.stm
Maik

Unread postby Maik » November 30th, 2006, 11:24 am

Some interesting security-related comments at the Guardian:
F-Secure's Hypponen says: "The vast majority of the viruses that we see today won't work in Vista, unless the user plays along, so I think we'll begin to see Vista-specific malware pretty quickly."

But even if Vista really is secure, it won't make the problem of botnets, spam, phishing and denial of service attacks go away overnight, because most people, at home and in businesses, won't upgrade their machines (and so to Vista) for years.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly ... 40,00.html
Maik

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions