Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Hangs when installing Linux

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

Hangs when installing Linux

Unread postby jamielaw » July 14th, 2006, 6:50 pm

I recently installed MS Virtual PC 2004 because it was free along with Linux. I attempted to install Linux, everything appeared to be going fine, but then the next screen after i clicked install OS was just covered with red lines. I've left it for 10 minutes and the screen doesnt change. Any ideas?

If it makes any difference the version of Linux is Qubuntu. It is an .iso image and I have that image stored on the HDD.

Jamie
jamielaw

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ChrisRLG » July 14th, 2006, 7:23 pm

soemtimes the install of the linux version can have problems - do a search on google for VPC with the linux name - see what you get.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby jamielaw » July 15th, 2006, 7:32 am

I get these errors just before it trys to install and hangs...

Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel.
[4294678.374000] isapnp: checksum for device 1 is not valid (0x89)
[4294678.385000] isapnp: checksum for device 2 is not valid (0xbe)

I tried googling...didnt have much luck :(
jamielaw

Unread postby ChrisRLG » July 15th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I woudl try a forum for VPC/VM - are some around.

Do let us know if you find the answer.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby amateur » July 15th, 2006, 3:05 pm

woudl try a forum for VPC/VM - are some around.

Hope it will be open to those who don't have it yet but contemplating on it. :lol:
amateur
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » July 16th, 2006, 12:25 am

Sounds like Linux doesn't recognize one or more of the generic "virtual" devices on the VPC. Things like the sound card, video card, network card, etc are just in the virtual world and not the ones on your real computer. Your Linux version isn't seeing them or isn't able to work right with them.

As far as a solution, that I don't know.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby jamielaw » July 16th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try a different version of Linux see how that goes. Worth a try anyway... :D

I think it would be useful if maybe one of the more experienced VMware users could create a tutorial on how to monitor the changes etc to your VM by malware. By this I mean explaining what programs need to be running e.g. RegMon etc, to monitor the changes. Just a thought ;)
jamielaw

Unread postby siatnan » September 19th, 2006, 3:38 am

hi, u could also try downloading that version of linux again, it could ba just an error in the iso image.

Nico
siatnan

Unread postby silver » September 19th, 2006, 4:18 am

There's some information on what works and what doesn't work on VPC here:
http://vpc.visualwin.com/

I found Ubuntu 6.06 was quite easy to get running, the video colour depth needs to be changed, info here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowTo ... tualPC2004
silver

Unread postby GS2 » September 19th, 2006, 5:05 am

Hi jamielaw,I intsalled Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on VPC. I have no sound at the moment, but everything else worked fine. I installed from an iso image downloaded through bittorrent (the Ubuntu site has the official tracker). If you have problems, VMWare may be the way to go:

" Ubuntu and VMware have worked together to incorporate VMware’s industry-leading virtualization capabilities in a freely available and easy to use manner for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS," said Dan Chu, senior director of developer products. "Any Ubuntu user can automatically install VMware Player from the Ubuntu package manager, and join the four million plus users of VMware worldwide for running virtualized servers, desktops, and virtual appliances. Hundreds of thousands of users have already adopted Ubuntu Virtual Appliances using VMware, and the increased integration between Ubuntu and VMware will further enable broad uptake of Ubuntu Virtual Appliances."

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released

This link may help too:
HowToConfigureUbuntuForMicrosoftVirtualPC2004
GS2

Unread postby jamielaw » September 19th, 2006, 9:04 am

I appreciate you looking into the problem. This thread is quite old now and I have since given up on Linux. I found the problem to be related to my display drivers.

Thanks anyway :D
jamielaw

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)