Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Who is online.

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Who is online.

Unread postby curlylad » September 1st, 2006, 5:21 am

On the forum index page under the who is online section it will show how many registered users, how many guests and also hidden, what or who or how are they hidden ?
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby AndyAtHull » September 1st, 2006, 7:00 am

Hi Curlylad,

Anyone can be shown as hidden. You can do so by going into your profile and clicking yes at "Hiding your status online".

Andy 8)
AndyAtHull
Visiting Staff

Unread postby curlylad » September 1st, 2006, 7:04 am

Didn't know that, but why would someone wish to do that ?
Do we have secret agents here ?
Are there admin from other sites trying to get double agent type malware fighters coaxed onto their forums ?
Do these people have something to hide ?
Is big brother watching us ? :lol:
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby AndyAtHull » September 1st, 2006, 7:07 am

curlylad wrote:Do we have secret agents here ?
Are there admin from other sites trying to get double agent type malware fighters coaxed onto their forums ?
Do these people have something to hide ?
Is big brother watching us ? :lol:

Hehe, not as far as I know. It is just part of the forum software like many other forums. A feature.
AndyAtHull
Visiting Staff

Unread postby curlylad » September 1st, 2006, 7:10 am

Hokey dokey, still can't see why someone would wish to remain hidden though, anyway cheers :thumbleft:
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Elrond » September 1st, 2006, 7:52 am

There are sometimes good reasons why you do not want to be seen when you are online. For instance one of the teachers or admins could want to be online without everybody seeing it if they are working on something that needs concentration. Not everybody understands that a PM is not the best way to get your log looked at and shoots a PM to whoever is online at the moment. That is just one example. There are also forums where the only screen shown to those not accepted will show who is on line. As the members of those forums for security reasons often do not want it to be known that they are members this is a way to make it difficult to collect the names.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby curlylad » September 1st, 2006, 8:06 am

Elrond - Thanks for that I see the point now :)
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby ChrisRLG » September 1st, 2006, 9:00 am

Just for your information.

Admin users can see all users online - hidden or not.
With the new software all teachers and moderators will also be able to 'see' hidden active members.

I would not like this to be used as the 'norm' as it is often helpful for others to know when other people are online, but as Elrond said, at times when a teacher or admin wishes to concentrate on something they may go 'hidden' so that they are not disturbed.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby curlylad » September 1st, 2006, 9:12 am

Gotcha ChrisRLG

Basically then it is for the benefit of the teachers, admin, moderators and the like, OK I can understand that and see how it would help them. :thumbright:
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Angoid » November 23rd, 2006, 4:55 am

I know this is an old thread now, but here goes .....

Typically, I'm not bothered by who sees me online, and normally don't hide myself.

But if I arrive on a board where I'm a mod or admin and see what looks like a spammer come onto the board, then I'll hide myself so the spammer cannot see that there's a mod/admin on the board.

Then once they have made their spammy post, I can delete / move it as necessary and (if I'm an admin) deal with the spammer's account.

Sometimes, I just want to concentrate on what's going on at the forum and there might be certain people who will be quick to PM you if they see you online. It can be useful to hide yourself under those circumstances as well - it's not that you're avoiding those people, just that PMs can become intrusive when you're there for other reasons.

Just my twopence worth, anyway :)
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions