Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Something new?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Something new?

Unread postby john999 » March 21st, 2006, 3:19 pm

Recently, I started my pc only to find that WinRAR would not let me start any programs except Internet Explorer and Outlook. If I try to open or start ANY other application, the message pops up that "the file or program is in unknown format or corrupt". I have never seen anything like this!!
Any advice?
john999

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » March 31st, 2006, 5:16 am

Bump to remove from zero reply search.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Bob4 » March 31st, 2006, 7:51 am

Why are you using winRar to start programs ?
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby john999 » March 31st, 2006, 2:40 pm

Couldn't use anything else. I deleted Winrar using the delete key. Found that many files had the same size and their property sheet had the same info. Auditmypc.com showed that a program called bearshare.exe is spyware, and apparently, I got a version that someone has "played with" because it maliciously attacked my pc.
I hope no one else gets this problem.
I reinstalled Windows XP and so far so good.
john999

Unread postby fleamailman » March 31st, 2006, 6:17 pm

curious, is winraw in the add/remove programs
press; windows botton with r botton
type; appwiz.cpl
see if it is there.

If you righthandclick a program, for example a word file then move down to "open with" press word and below tick the "always open with this program" box, does this mend the problem.

Also, same way
type; prefetch
see if something like that is there and delete it, in fact if you are not sure you can delete all in that folder but better to just lose the nearest ones

Also, windows botton and e botton
(include hidden files and folders)
search under files and folders: winraw
not delete but just remove entries to recycle bin
restart computer, see if things then work and if not restore from recycle bin.

Also, same way
type; msconfig
click; start up
untick; entries relating to winraw

Lastly, I suggest installing Tune up trail version, link;
http://www.tune-up.com/
run; tune up disk
run; tune up registry
This will take time and may need more than one reboot

Anyway, I would do the above but perhaps someone has a better so I am following this thread with interest, good luck, feedback good or bad is alway welcome.
fleamailman
Banned Member

Unread postby fleamailman » March 31st, 2006, 6:27 pm

Sorry, ignore my above post, I did not read that you have now reinstalled the OS and therefore, barring your downloading winraw your or loading it from another program, your comp should be running fine.
fleamailman
Banned Member

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions