Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Question on Spybot teatimer

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Question on Spybot teatimer

Unread postby glennhubbard » January 4th, 2006, 5:58 pm

I recently installed the teatimer on the recommendation of this forum. I just went back to it and noticed that in the log under the place where the teatimer is enabled a number of denied values were recorded.
I assumed that this meant 'baddies' that Spybot had blocked. However, I noticed that this list contained something from Winpatrol and, I think, Spywareblaser. These aren't exactly malware!
So is this log telling me what the teatimer has blocked or is it simply a record of what other progs have been doing? Because if the former is the case, I'm not happy about Winpatrol's activities being blocked, as you can imagine. Hope someone can clear this up for me.
Thanks.
glennhubbard

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ChrisRLG » January 4th, 2006, 6:11 pm

well winpatrol and teatimer do similar things.

Lets take a scenario.

say a change is required, and teatimer jumps up to ask is it is OK, and you say yes, now winpatrol jumps up, having noticed the change also, and you say no.

Now those two programs will notice each others changes to that entry and 'flag' each other.

Is it the programs fault - either one - well no, they are only doing what they are told.

That scenario may not be what has happened with yourself, but you can I hope see where this could lead.

I would suggest just one of those two programs to be running for a less experienced user, but for someone who would understand what is or could happen those two will work very well together.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » January 5th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Tea Timer records everything, whether allowed or denied. You will have to read the log to see what Tea Timer did. TEa Timer will alert on deletions as well as additions. Win Patrol only alerts you about additions. If you run both, you can turn off the duplications that Win Patrol does, like monitoring your start page. Win Patrol does monitor services and file associations, which Tea Timer doesn't.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby glennhubbard » January 6th, 2006, 5:42 am

Many thanks :) .
glennhubbard

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions