Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Strange goings on - help!

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Re: Strange goings on - help!

Unread postby six-h » February 8th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Hi Drewcat,

One day you will
and
It is :)

I'll carry a camera, and live in hope! :lol:

Bit slow on the cleaning front, I've been sat here staring at the screen like a little puppy for a couple of days now! :grommit:

I think Scotty's busy.

Just a question concerning the display of the sites pages.
You know when you click the scroll wheel to "auto scroll", there appears on the screen a circle with two or four arrow heads for direction, instead of the usual mouse pointer.
I'm finding that when I use this, it erases the pale blue background, leaving a white track down the page, the width of the circle.
As the page passes out of view, either top or bottom, it seems to heal the track!
This only happens on the right side of the screen.
I've checked for the same behaviour on other fora, but it only happens here. :tongue8:
Do you, or does anyone else find this? :sad7:

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Drewcat » February 9th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Hmm

Sorry, I never use the auto scroll, so I'm not sure what you mean. Does it happen on any site or just here? I'd mention that to Scotty along with any other odd problems you notice.

The helpers and teachers have all been really busy lately. The forums are hopping with both people needing help and people coming for training. Scotty also as an undergrad has to have his posts to you checked by an expert. Anything posted for you to do, goes through Scotty and another person. You'd be surprised how much behind the scene work there is on peoples fixes.

When I had a bug I had to wait 5-6 days just to get my first reply. Try to be patient. It's best to try to stay off the internet as much as you can and don't do anything to try to fix it except what Scotty tells you to. When people go and try to get help from more then one place they often make it hard to impossible for someone to help them. It's really important you don't try to be taking other peoples advice in the meantime.

Also by staying offline you won't get infected with anything new or cause another problem for yourself. Hunting around on the net for information is what got me infected with a rootkit. So again, do try not to do that on this computer until you are clean and protected. Part of what Scotty will help you do is get your computer protected. When you are all done, Scotty will give you a post which will tell you a bunch of information about things you can do to protect your computer. If you do those things and keep your programs updated you will be pretty well protected and be able to safely go back to doing your thing.

I know it's hard but try to hang in there. It is very much worth it in the end to get it all sorted out and come out better protected.
Drewcat

Unread postby six-h » February 10th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Hi Drewcat,
Thanks for your reply, surprised that you don't understand what I mean by "auto scroll", :o
are you using a Mac, or a laptop? If so, you probably won't have a three button mouse.
Mine has the usual left and right buttons, and a centre scroll wheel.
On "long pages" such as these can be, rather than clicking and dragging the slider bar at the side of the window, I can click (press down) on the scroll wheel once, then just move the mouse slightly in the direction I wish to travel, and the page scrolls continuously until I move the mouse back to its previous position, or again click the scroll wheel to exit this feature.
I thought everyone did this, but thinking about it, laptop and Mac users obviously can't!
And yes, the erasing of the background only happens here!
It never used to happen, so I think it must be associated with my current problem - Oh God what kind of mess have I got my baby into!! --and will it ever be right again! :cry:

I can imagine how inundated you people are, this is why I try to respect your attentions, and make every effort to be available so as not to waste your valuable time by delaying a response. :)
Its hard to do this without being online most of the time !! :?
I would not try anything on my own whilst I'm being "sorted" by this forum, and I have been here twice before, so I know the form!
I must admit, Im getting a bit impatient/worried, 'cos I've not heard back from Scotty for four days!!! :shock:
I know that it takes a little extra time since his posts must be vetted, but four days, just sat here staring at the screen willing an e-mail to appear, seems like a lifetime :cry:

Don't know about you, but I'm one of those "saddo's" who gets a bit fretful when my PC gets poorly, it's similar to when I was nursing my mum! :(
How sad is that!
There's no hope for me :oops:
but at least, you're still talking to me! :)

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby Drewcat » February 10th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Hi Six-h :)

I can click (press down) on the scroll wheel once, then just move the mouse slightly in the direction I wish to travel, and the page scrolls continuously until I move the mouse back to its previous position, or again click the scroll wheel to exit this feature.

This is the part I didn't know. I know of the scroll wheel but I wasn't sure if thats what you meant. I've never really used it. My mouse is ancient. hehe OH! Mine just did it lol. Sheesh, I had never tried to click the wheel before. Oh yea, it does it to me a little bit too. So, its not just you! Mine leaves a trail behind it too sorta box like. Must just be the forum.

Hey thats pretty cool *plays with mouse* :cheers:

He will be back! He will be I promise! Check back once or twice a day.

I know its hard but at least we have a way to get help like this! It took me 2 full weeks of fixing my computer only in the end to need to reformat it anyways.... But I managed to get the infection out of it very fast I think and it's still a working computer! I remember the days I lost computers to bugs that I didn't know how to fix and couldn't get help. Thats why I am training here, it's so sad to have infections or have your computer die for nothing. Most of us get afraid when we think something is wrong with our computer. Either that or we are completely ignorant to the possibilities. The more I learn here the more secure I feel because I myself can find and control any problem that may come along. And it helps to be surrounded by great people who know what they're doing.

Backing up the stuff on your computer is good too because then thats one less worry should something happen.

:cat:
Drewcat

Unread postby six-h » February 10th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Hi Drew,
Pleased to hear that I'm not alone, making ski tracks! :D

2 full weeks of fixing my computer only in the end to need to reformat it anyways....

That's what scares me, My PC is 5 years old, and a factory reset would just about extinguish my will to live :cry:

I do have an external HD, and use True Image to store a full image every now and again, last one was about mid August last year :(

Even so, that too could be infected, dependent on how long this little b***** has lain undetected! :x

Guess I'll just have to sit and wait, like you say!

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby Drewcat » February 11th, 2008, 7:26 am

Hey,

I had had a rootkit though six-h, then I had problems with my windows updates getting installed. Yea I wonder too how long it was there before I noticed it. I hadn't downloaded any new security program or anything, I just suddenly started getting alerts and pop up warnings from my computer. Hard to say if it had just come in or if it had been there but just messed up and made itself apparent. Still, I don't know enough about these things to even speculate.

I just keep documents and pictures backed up. I think those are pretty safe and anything else I need can be gotten again. This is the statement I see around here regarding it "Back up all important data on the machine. Do not back up any applications (programs) or executable files (.dll, .exe, .scr, .bat, .cmd, .vbs, .sys). Those should be reinstalled from the original CD's or websites." But this statement is for AFTER someone knows they are infected with something that might not be entirely cleanable. So those must be the most likely to carry on infections.

Anyways yea it's all a big pain in the behind but I suppose having the internet on the whole is worth it. With a bit of knowledge and effort you can protect yourself pretty well.

:profileright:
Last edited by Drewcat on February 12th, 2008, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewcat

Unread postby Scotty » February 11th, 2008, 10:37 am

Hello six-h

Sorry about the delay in responding. As an Undergrad, all my proposed fixes have to be ok'd by a teacher first. The one Im working with hasnt been around all weekend but has returned.

I think I can say you dont have much to worry about though, Im waiting for confirmation on that and will post soon.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Huck Finn » February 12th, 2008, 2:27 pm

six-h wrote:Saturday I tried to buy some airline tickets on BMI Baby site, (never previously had a problem), at the final screen, I clicked the "Buy" button, and was returned to the start of the purchase procedure.
There was no explanation, no "X field requires completion" or any other information so I exited the site.

Not to diminish the problems you might have. This might explain what happened with the site:

I had something like this happen recently. I was trying to download a video driver and when I would click the link to download it would take me to another page. I finally read the page and realized what was wrong. It said "This site checks referrer information as part of an anti-leech protection routine."

Turned out to be a setting in firefox. I changed the "network.http.sendRefererHeader" from 2 to 0.
Type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the address bar of a firefox window. Scroll down to find "network.http.sendRefererHeader". A "2" sends the RefererHeader and a "0" doesn't.
Huck Finn

Unread postby six-h » February 13th, 2008, 11:51 am

Hi Guys,
I succumbed to the glorious (and unseasonal) weather we've been having here in Manchester UK, it's almost like what passes for summer!
Nothing strenuous though! Just wandering around town soaking up the rays :)

Hey thats pretty cool *plays with mouse*

Here's another one for you Drewcat, if you're using IE7, clicking on links using the scroll wheel opens the link in the next tab! 8)

Rootkits!!! fearsome beasts, that's why I no longer buy, or play any Sony CD's.
They (Sony) say that they never released any of their CD's here in the UK with the Rootkit based DRM software, but the thought of them puts the fear of God in me!! :shock:
I think that all of us are guilty of laziness in backing up, until we have a scare!
I'm just wanting to get clean, swap my XP firewall for Comodo, and install AVGAS in place of e-trust (now expired),then I'll wipe my external HD. and store a new, clean image as a fallback.
After that, I will back up My Docs regularly!
Well that's the theory!! :)

Hi Scotty
Pleased to hear from you, I wasn't having a pop before regarding waiting.
I'm just grateful that there are guys like you willing and able to help numpties like me when we get in trouble!
I'm just so attached to my PC, it physically hurts when it doesn't work right!! :roll: and even a short wait just fuels my paranoia about what is slithering around inside my HD ;)

Hi Huck Finn
welcome to the fray!
You're probably right in that I may need to tweak my browser, I use IE7, but have considered the better safety reputation of FireFox, and may yet give it a go.
When I do, I'll be back for advice on what settings to use. :)

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby Drewcat » February 13th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Good to see your back. Think you could have gotten antivirus and firewall by now, if you haven't yet, ask scotty for the info.

Whats a numpty? :?
Drewcat

Unread postby six-h » February 13th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Hi Drew
Whats a numpty? :?

Sorry 'bout that,
Just another example of the English and the Americans being "two peoples, separated by a common language" :D

Numpty : - One of low, or negligible intellect (colloquialism found in the Northwest of England!) :withstupid: :drunken:

ie., me :oops:

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby six-h » February 16th, 2008, 6:22 pm

Just finished my session with a-Squared's Malware removal people, and pleased to report PC now behaving normally, and no trace of any nasties! :bounce:
Just thought I'd share that with you all! :D
In particular with Scotty, who suggested trying them.

I'm going for a long lie down in a dark room with a handful of Paracetamol (Tylenol to our American cousins :) ), and a large block of chocolate till my head stops spinning! :happy3:

Hope to come back when I've recovered if that's OK, for advice on security apps.
as much about setting them up as which ones!!

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby Drewcat » February 16th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Hi,

Glad to hear it all went well! Finally back in working order.

Well if you want to stay that way, heres the list of anti virus and firewalls (scroll down a little)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4959

Avg anti virus and Sunbelt kerio firewall will be the easiest for you to use and are very good (and free). They really don't take much time or effort to download and install. Also, you don't even have to touch them to set them up. You can open them and look around but there isn't really anything you need to do. Avg updates on its own and Sunbelts firewall is self setting as well. Also, reading through that post there about other things you can do for your security would be good.
Drewcat

Unread postby six-h » February 16th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Hi Drew,
Just sat here with a blinding headache, two chocolate biscuits and a cup of coffee and thinking of going to bed!

Thanks for the link, I've read most of it before, and with the usual good intentions, downloaded the Kerio firewall and AVGAS, with every intention of replacing windows firewall and e-Trust anti virus, which though it's now expired, continues to work, and download latest updates!

So yes, the time has come to get protected, I am running McAfee SiteAdvisor in IE7, SpywareBlaster in the background.
Since updating Spybot yesterday, I'm now running version 1.5.2.0 which includes "Teatimer" not quite sure about teatimer yet, but it's not making its presence felt too much!
Also on demand, I've got AdAware, AVG AntiSpyware, and a-Squared!

I'm wondering about "Windows Defender", but don't know if it would conflict with others, and if it is a resource hog!
so more digging to be done there!

Main priority at present is replacing e-Trust, and windows firewall!!

One problem that has arisen since my cleaning at a-Squared, is that my "Normal.dot" template seems to be corrupted.

I have two bitmap signatures stored as autotext entries, and they were acessible via "Insert">Auto Text>Normal.
Now, there are no sub menu entries under "Auto Text", not even the ones that should be placed there by Word!!

Had the same problem once back in August 2006, when http://www.officekb.com gave me the solution, but they've deleted the posting! It told me how to seek out all instances of the template, and then rename them all oldNormal.dot - windows then creates a new one!
I seem to remember using "Run" to find the templates, rather than "Search", but I can't be sure.
I've posted again in the "officekb" forum, and hope someone posts back!

Off to bed now, I'm whacked! :sleepy2:

six-h :wave:
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby six-h » February 16th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Thank the Lord for the capacious archives of PC Advisor Forums! :D

I've spent the last 45 minutes trawling through my old postings.
Then re-tracing my steps. :(

I ultimately struck gold: -
"Windows Knowledgebase kb : 291484" :lol:

If this is helpful to anyone else, I'm pleased! 8)

Job done

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions