Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

C++

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

C++

Unread postby GGiTzKevin » December 18th, 2007, 9:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a website that can take me through step by step to learn C++. (I'm a complete beginner)

Thanks, Kevin
GGiTzKevin

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: C++

Unread postby Alander » December 19th, 2007, 1:56 am

Alander

Unread postby askey127 » December 31st, 2007, 4:39 pm

Just a few thoughts here:
If you are a casual programmer, C++ can be very frustrating.
It's quite complex and cryptic, and development of graphical interfaces with it is NOT fast. Most C++ programmers take years to develop their own code routines. Its main advantage is that the code is efficient (fast), and compilers are available for virtually every Operating System. There is virtually no task you can't do with it, but you may not want to spend the time.
If you want it as a long term skill, it may be useful, but if you just want to quickly write programs to use, there are likely easier solutions.

Easier solutions to consider if you want to write stand-alone executables (each has its flaws, especially VB)
Both are much faster for rapid development of Graphics interface programs.
*Visual Basic
*Delphi

There are other languages to look at if you want. A run through Wikipedia may be worthwhile. They are each good at certain things.
*Java
*Perl
*Python

A little extra time spent on what each language/compiler is good at, coupled with your personal needs, will be time well spent.

For example, programs in my sig and others (like Spybot) are written in Delphi. HJT is written in VB
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby GGiTzKevin » January 2nd, 2008, 7:04 pm

Mmm well I'd fit into the category of casual learning. I would like to learn it someday. Is it possible to learn all of those languages :lol: ? I'm just looking for a place to start my learning of programming, etc, maybe code my own program.
GGiTzKevin

Unread postby askey127 » January 2nd, 2008, 8:54 pm

Until you have an idea about the different language capabilities, I would stay to the inexpensive or free compilers and get an idea.
Check this site out-there's plenty to read up on, download, try out, etc.
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/pascal.shtml
I would definitely look at the Turbo Delphi Explorer versions (free)
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Vino Rosso » January 3rd, 2008, 3:49 am

Some say that those just starting to look at programming should consider C# (C sharp) as a better option to C++.

Any thoughts on this?
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby askey127 » January 3rd, 2008, 8:27 am

That may well be the case for some things.
It is a slightly less cryptic language, due to the incorporation of some features from other languages.
I am not familiar with the availability, performance, or convenience of low cost compilers for it.
The whole Microsoft Studio thing can get to be very expensive.

The fact that it requires the whole .NET framework, though, is more of a pain than a help, in my personal space.
I really like to develop stand-alone applications that will run fom a flash drive without having to install 50 Mb or so of .NET in every machine that develops or runs the program.
(You would not be able to make a program like ATF-Cleaner in C#)
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Vino Rosso » January 3rd, 2008, 8:41 am

Thanks askey

askey127 wrote:(You would not be able to make a program like ATF-Cleaner in C#)

What is ATF-Cleaner written in... VB?
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby askey127 » January 3rd, 2008, 9:00 am

Yes it is VB.
Like all VB programs, it requires the VB runtime package on target machines, but that is not big and it has become almost universal.
To me, the main drawback to VB, like a lot of software development, is the cost of the compiler.
Otherwise, even with some of its silly flaws, you can do a lot of software quickly with it, and it's easy to learn.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Vino Rosso » January 3rd, 2008, 9:43 am

I guess this is the question is should have asked at the beginning...
askey127 wrote:I really like to develop stand-alone applications that will run from a flash drive

What easily-learned language will allow someone to do that? (without the target computer having to download software to make the applications work) Is this back to your Delphi suggestion? Would an application written in Delphi require the target computer to have specific software onboard? Or would I be better to stick with VB?

Apologies Kevin for hijacking your thread.
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » January 3rd, 2008, 11:09 am

VB should have no problems. Same for Python. For Python, you need to first compile to an EXE first if it's for Windows.

http://www.py2exe.org/

A tutorial - http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby askey127 » January 3rd, 2008, 1:37 pm

Turbo Delphi, except the .Net version, should compile to a small independent .exe also.
You can check with Noviciate, who is doing some software with it.
As mayi suggests, Python and VB both would work.

Python and Turbo Delphi compilers are the right price.
You would have to see what you could do for cost if you wanted a VB development setup.

Versions VB 5.0 and later are pretty good. If used, be sure to check the license requirements. Might need a signed statement from the original owner.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby GGiTzKevin » January 4th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Vino Rosso wrote:Apologies Kevin for hijacking your thread.

No problem I'm learning by watching you guys discuss this :) . I think I'll look around first, since I have no experience whatsoever with programming. Thanks for the link askey.

Edit:
Are gaming hacks illegal? I'm wondering because I think I'll start coding hacks. If this is inappropriate, tell me and I'll remove this immediately, but I read the forum rules, and I don't think this breaks any.

-Kevin
GGiTzKevin

Unread postby Simon V. » January 4th, 2008, 1:51 pm

What do you mean by 'gaming hacks'? A lot can be filed under that category, and some are indeed illegal.
Simon V.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Noviciate » January 4th, 2008, 3:52 pm

I switched from VB because of the issues with .Net - who wants to write anything that doesn't work two times out of four on other machines? The brief time I spent with it, I found it relatively easy to grasp and Google was very good at finding solutions to problems. M$ have done a good job of making the basics simple, so brownie points to them.
Delphi Turbo Edition 2006 has a similar feel to VB 2005 Express Edition (as well as being the same price - free!) with regard to the programming interface, but is irritatingly just not like VB when writing code. If you want to code, I recommend you pick one and go with it as trying to grasp both will do terrible things to your keyboard when you enter a command that you know works but won't, and then you finally realise it's the wrong language!
I feel that the availability of online information is far less than that of VB, so if you've a problem, you'll have to look harder for a solution, unless you can ask on a forum. The books are also far fewer on the ground if you want to learn Delhi, particularly if you want up-to-date and simple. I've had to buy books that are several versions old in order to find ones that are written for the slower coder - avoid Delphi 2005 by Marco Cantu as it's incomprehensible to the numpty!
The best one i've found so far is this one. The latest version is the Fourth Edition, but I went for the Third as I didn't think the difference would justify the extra pennies and I also ended up with the South African version which dropped the price a little more.

For Turbo Delphi Explorer:

A little explanation of how to go about it: http://www.duntemann.com/delphisq1part1.htm
It's a touch out of date, linkwise, but the rest is accurate. Don't forget the email address as you need what they send you in order to get it running - a magic text file!
Download link: http://cc.codegear.com/Free.aspx?id=24722 (Yes, 325 Mb!)
Don't forget the English full prerequisite install - this needs to install first.
Free videos: http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges/index.php?p=26687

There are a few more download options here: http://www.codegear.com/downloads/free/turbo
I avoided the .NET version because of issues with VB, so I can't comment on it.

Turbo Delphi, except the .Net version, should compile to a small independent .exe also.

Yup.
Noviciate
MRU Master
MRU Master

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next

Return to General Discussions