Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Which Linux version to install?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Which Linux version to install?

Unread postby RuthlessAdvertising » June 26th, 2007, 11:06 am

Hi. I am considering creating a new partition and installing a Linux OS as fallback and for a new experience.

My system is a 3 yr old P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128 MB graphics card, Windows XP Home SP2 laptop. What would be an easy-to-understand-and-work with version for a beginer/intermediate computer user such as myself?

Also, could Symantec's NAV 2005 and other software that mainly works with Windows Xp be used with it or do I need new software and AV?

Thanks for any help!
RuthlessAdvertising

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ChrisRLG » June 26th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Linux.

I would start with reading this http://www.linux.org/

All the various distros are different and have 'followings'

http://www.linux.org/dist/

That page is designed to help you chose from the ones written with your type of use in mind.

For AV - AVG7.5 (Grisoft) has a good free version.

PS do not assume that by having a Linux distro that they do not get any malware etc. Yes less is written for them - but the number of infected Linux servers that hit my server with attacks shows it is just as susceptible to being taken over as any windows version was.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » June 26th, 2007, 9:33 pm

http://www.linuxlinks.com/portal/news/s ... 8093134661

Slowly read through on what distros to get.

Personally, I feel that Freespire, OpenSuse and Fedora are easy enough for new users into Linux world.

In the intermediate, you could try getting a Debian, Ubuntu (and its derivatives), Knoppix or Gentoo. They are still pretty easy to use, but at times may be hard to figure out. A Google search on the error produced usually solves these problems.

For AV, there's Clam and AVG. For firewall, there's Firestarter in Ubuntu, not sure if it works for others.

Most other softwares have their own alternatives, so you will have no problems. Games will face problems, you could get Wine to work with it.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Scotty » June 27th, 2007, 6:02 am

The easier ones Ive used, that is, they are very much similar to Windows are SimplyMEPIS, Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu.
Ubuntu is what I favour, and the forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/
is the one where you actually questions answered and quickly.
Take a look around there. There are plenty tutorials.
You can download Live CD's of most distro's too which you can try out before installing.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby RuthlessAdvertising » June 27th, 2007, 10:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. Can someone please take a look at post id #21244 titled "Various Problems" in the HiJack This forumn and tell me if my log is ok or problematic?!

Thanks
RuthlessAdvertising

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions