Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Removing Music/Video files when there already deleted.

Do you have BIOS questions or issues? Want to discuss Linux or other non-Microsoft operating systems? Ask your computer related questions that don't quite fit in any other sub-forum here.

Removing Music/Video files when there already deleted.

Unread postby Arron Green » May 17th, 2012, 8:40 am

Hope this is the right place to ask this, since I'm in the mood to rid my computer of every nasty in the universe, I'll also be removing every video, picture, and music files I have. (Don't need them anyway and I'm not over-reacting :P )

On my Windows Media Player I have old music files that - or at least I'd of thought - would have dissapeared, but they haven't. Wondering if anyone on this forum knows how to remove them completely?

Everytime I try to delete or play it prompts this message:
"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted."

I know there deleted but why are they still present on my media player...
Arron Green

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Removing Music/Video files when there already deleted.

Unread postby Wingman » May 17th, 2012, 8:59 am

Sounds like the WM library still has these files "indexed" although they are no longer physically on the computer, according to your statement.
Have a look at this reference, see if this resolves your issue: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... er-library
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Arron Green » May 17th, 2012, 9:18 am

Hey Dude thanks for the tip.

I found this I just can't follow instructions to save my life... I got to the navigation part which has stumped me.

Hi,

This might be because of the corruption in Windows Media Player. Let’s try rebuilding the Media library and check if that helps.

** Shutdown windows media player.

** Stop the media sharing service. Go to Start >> Type in Services.msc in start search >> Right-click on the “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” and select Stop.

** Navigate to “c:\Users\”your username”\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player. Now delete the files named CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb. - This bit I don't understand...

** Start the media sharing service.

** Now start Windows Media Player and watch it build up your library again.
Arron Green

Unread postby Wingman » May 17th, 2012, 9:55 am

Did you try the step(s) in the link I provided? This seems like a safer method than deleting files. If you tried and did not have success, then possibly attempt your method...
I saw the same "article" online but don't know if it will work or cause more problems. You would be better off just renaming the files rather than deleting them. Rename them to .wmold. This would prevent them from being used but allow you to rename them back, if needed.

Arron Green wrote:** Navigate to “c:\Users\”your username”\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player. Now delete the files named CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb. - This bit I don't understand...
This is referring to using Explorer... and locating the Media Player folder, then removing the .wmdb files. The *** and * refer to arbitrary numbers in the file names.

Start by going to the Start orb and type C:\Users in the text box... you see a folder at the top of the result window called Users.
Open that folder and select the username you are having the issue with... then walk through the various folder names (AppData, Local, Microsoft...) in the above reference until to see the .wmdb files.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Wingman » May 17th, 2012, 10:13 am

I just noticed that you are receiving help on our forum for virus removal :shock: ... viewtopic.php?p=607562#p607562

You should not be making any changes to your computer unless they are instructed by your helper. Making modifications to your system, why trying to get it cleaned adds additional work for your helper. Please discontinue any additional changes, until your helper says you are malware free.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Arron Green » May 17th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Arrgh!
Balls... Lucky I didn't do anything major, still haven't removed the music files and by your message, that was a good job.
Arron Green

Unread postby TinaTwilight » October 10th, 2013, 12:25 am

You are going to have to supply more information than this. Where are you wanting to delete photos from? Your question doesn't make sense. :shock:
TinaTwilight
Banned Member

Unread postby Wingman » October 12th, 2013, 4:18 pm

This original topic was started May 17, 2012 8:40 am and had since been resolved.
Posts older than a year should not be posted to as the problem has either already been resolved or the original poster has long since moved on and is likely not to respond.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove