Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Boot up issues for Windows 7 (is it BIOS, bug or HD???)

Do you have BIOS questions or issues? Want to discuss Linux or other non-Microsoft operating systems? Ask your computer related questions that don't quite fit in any other sub-forum here.

Boot up issues for Windows 7 (is it BIOS, bug or HD???)

Unread postby Big john » December 19th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I have a Dell Inspiron PC, Windows 7 64 bit. It stuck in no mans land.

It's not uncommon for me to leave it running. One day, after about 3 hours, I returned to the PC and everything was frozen, nothing would respond, key board, mouse etc. I cold booted the machine. Upon boot up, it freezes, actually it seems to be stuck, I see a Black screen with the Dell and Inspiron Logo, a blue bar that is half filled (blue bar does not fill to 1/2 way. it boots up to that spot), and commands "F2 Setup" and "F12 Boot Options" are displayed. The computer does NOT respond to F2, F8 or F12. It's frozen in time. I plan to trouble shoot and take the HD off this computer and attach it as a slave to another to see if I still have "read" capabilities. I may even take a previous HD with an OS and attach it this machine to help me further diagnose the problem. I've already tried the rescue disks and nothing happens.

Suggestions?
Big john

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Boot up issues for Windows 7 (is it BIOS, bug or HD???)

Unread postby Wingman » December 19th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Some suggestions that may work...
You can try resetting the CMOS by removing the battery (unplug from wall socket first). You can Google "Dell Inspiron User Manual" (without the quotes) to try to find the user manual for you machine, hopefully showing where the CMOS battery is located for your model.

Alternately If the machine still fails to boot then strip the motherboard down to the bare minimum. Remove all expansion cards, disconnect all unneeded drives and leave just the processor, memory and graphics card in the machine after reseating them. If the computer boots this way, start connecting each device one by one rebooting after each connection... until the no boot scenario returns. This would show which device is causing the problem.

Also try booting the system without the keyboard, mouse or any other device plugged into the rear of the system. If you have more than one memory module installed then try booting with only one and then swap them around and try again.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Big john » December 19th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! FYI: I unplugged all the items earlier today, took the side panel off, was getting ready to unhook the HD and said what the heck, let's power this baby one more time and see what lights up, fans on etc.....and wouldn't you know she booted normally.

Updated my dat files and ran virus program twice just to be sure. No issues, everythings working. Very strange. Though your comment about booting the system with out the keyboard, mouse or any other device may have been the answer as I did this by pure blind luck. Other than some stress dealing with a computer failure and being down a week while I did some research I think it was worth the hassle as I found a great web site out of the ordeal. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big john

Unread postby Rouisser » May 28th, 2019, 11:20 pm

The PC can be booted by bootable disk(Like USB,DVD or CD).In general, people are used to making one for booting PC,it's not that hard.
Rouisser

Unread postby Gary R » May 29th, 2019, 12:34 am

Why are you posting to an 8 year old topic. I'm pretty sure that the OP will have sorted out their problem by now.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Rouisser » June 2nd, 2019, 11:02 pm

Rouisser wrote:The PC can be booted by bootable disk(Like USB,DVD or CD).In general, people are used to making one for booting PC,it's not that hard.

Because something like this happened on my computer,that's why i am here,and now,more and more people are creating a boot disk for their computers,as it's the best way to boot computer.
This is how i made:
https://www.uubyte.com/
Of course, there are others:
https://unetbootin.github.io/
https://isoburn.org/
Last edited by Rouisser on June 3rd, 2019, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rouisser

Unread postby Gary R » June 3rd, 2019, 12:04 am

There is no need to be Using 3rd party tools to create a bootable "rescue" drive, all versions of Windows from W7 onwards have built in tools that enable you to create one.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove