Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

[SOLVED] Windows cannot access file/appropriate permissions

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

[SOLVED] Windows cannot access file/appropriate permissions

Unread postby gtmaster303 » June 1st, 2012, 10:53 pm

Ok guys, after a lot of work and time, I finally installed Windows 7 Ultimate on an old Inspiron 6400. A laptop that has been disowned by so many people, I saved it and decided to bring it back to working strength.
Specs: Core Duo T2300, 1GB ram, 60GB HDD

The system itself boots up fine. I had a one hiccup during install (could that be the source of my problem?) where it got hung up on "Windows is expanding files at 0%." I ejected the CD and put it back in and the installation continued as normal.

Nearly everything seems to work ok including wifi and windows updates (I am typing on it as I speak). I even installed Firefox and it's fairly zippy at web browsing.

PROBLEM: Whenever I try to access anything from the start menu such as computer, pictures, downloads, control panel, it gives me an error saying "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item."

I am the administrator, and it's a fresh install of windows, so I doubt there's any malware.
The computer used to run Windows XP Home. I did a clean install, not an upgrade.

After attempting another fresh install of Windows 7, and this time the setup asked me for a driver CD (which obviously doesn't exist for Windows 7), so I couldn't proceed any further.

From device manager nearly everything has a driver except for 2 "base system devices" that come up.
Is there any way I can get this installation fully up and running?

Here's a youtube video of someone running it well with the same exact specs and model as me, so it definitely seems possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qysEmsT0kzE

I got some amazing help from this forum when I was trying to remove some malware from my other laptop, so I was hoping I could get the same for this old system.

[b]problem has been solved!![/b]

Turns out the installation was just fine, but the user account was not set up properly.
I was an administrator, but I wasn't given all priviledges somehow.
Anyway, without being able to get into control panel, I used typed "user controlpasswords2" into run.
Played around with a few settings, and made a brand new profile with everything enable just for good measure, AND voila!

My computer is now officially on Windows 7 Ultimate and everything works :)
Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully my thread may help someone else as well
gtmaster303

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: [SOLVED] Windows cannot access file/appropriate permissi

Unread postby NonSuch » June 2nd, 2012, 3:04 am

Glad to see your installation issues have been resolved. Thanks for reporting back.

Make sure you get all available Windows Updates installed before you do any surfing.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator