Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

could you add SAS to the software list?

Please leave any suggestions and requests here - NO HIJACKTHIS LOGS

could you add SAS to the software list?

Unread postby philly12 » February 17th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Hello, I have been a user of Superantispyware for some time now and I really like their product. Could you consider adding it to the software list? It is a well known antispyware program in the anti-malware community.
philly12

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: could you add SAS to the software list?

Unread postby Jason Ess » February 17th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Err, I think it is... :shock:
Jason Ess

Unread postby philly12 » February 17th, 2008, 10:56 pm

um, i only see filterpak, sitehound, and winpatrol on the software list at the link at the top of the page. Am i missing something?
philly12

Unread postby Chewy » February 18th, 2008, 12:06 am

I guess since the forum is so active in the field they are trying to remain neutral, besides this stuff changes daily and what's good today may be bad tommorrow or next week.
Chewy

Unread postby Drewcat » February 18th, 2008, 3:32 am

Ok the list you are looking at is merely a small list, mostly of products that support the Malware Removal community.

You're missing this page
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4959
and this
http://malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14

It does need updating and when it does I suspect both adaware and zonealarm will be coming off for bundling ask toolbar (among other reasons). Those two programs most people here aren't recommending anymore.

This forum is far from neutral. The experts here recommend the ones that are best for people, for a variety of reasons such as safety, system resources and any particular program related problem. Problems with products are spoken about openly and SAS is one that has had some problems that has caused people to drop it from their lists of software because there was better alternatives available. Everyone is of course allowed their own opinions though on what they want to recommend.
Drewcat

Unread postby ChrisRLG » February 18th, 2008, 5:10 am

philly12

Did you join spacifically to mention that product.

You see the problem is that - with this particular product - that happens time and again at other sites.

It happens so many times that most admins consider it spam.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby philly12 » February 18th, 2008, 9:14 am

honestly no i did not. I joined to start your malware removal university actually. This site was recommended by a friend of mine on the avast! web forum (the great malware fighter Polonus). I just like SAS a lot and didn't see it in the software list and thought i would ask if you would add it. I thought i posted it in the right place because i considered it to be a site suggestion. I didn't mean to cause any problems :oops:
philly12

Unread postby Chewy » February 18th, 2008, 9:37 am

I hate to hear this about the possible spam and dubious marketing practises, I reccomended the program in a forum I am very active in.

:oops:

neutrality and credibility go hand in hand with honesty drew
Chewy

Unread postby Drewcat » February 18th, 2008, 1:08 pm

neutrality and credibility go hand in hand with honesty drew

If you are a politician maybe. There is little neutrality in the world of recommending security products to other people for their computers. You either recommend what you truly think is best for them based on experience or you recommend what makes you money. Most the people here don't remain neutral to products which take advantage of or harm peoples computers. Which is as it should be considering that they are in a position of public trust to recommend the best products. The only time neutral is happening is when a new product is released and people have yet to gather experience from it or perhaps when an older program has made some changes.

It is honesty that creates credibility, not neutrality.
Drewcat

Unread postby Chewy » February 18th, 2008, 1:17 pm

everything isn't always so cut and dry, black and white

There is little neutrality in the world of recommending security products to other people

some programs go downhill, some get better, some disappear

with malware scanners, one is seldom enough, as long as they don't try and take over your computer and create conflicts
Chewy

Unread postby ChrisRLG » February 18th, 2008, 1:34 pm

The program is considered not bad.

But I have seen so many posts from the owner touting his program on other forums that I would never add it to that recommended list.

I will hopefully get to the next round of admission tonight.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » February 18th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Chewy, after you have been around here for a while, you will understand that we do not recommend products to the public unless we have used them ourselves, know that they are very safe to use, and their advertising methods are acceptable, e.g., the purveyors of those products do not spam the public, neither privately nor on message boards of any sort.

Chewy wrote:some programs go downhill, some get better, some disappear

with malware scanners, one is seldom enough, as long as they don't try and take over your computer and create conflicts

That statement, "with malware scanners, one is seldom enough," is not entirely accurate. While one may make use of multiple scanners while cleaning an infected computer, there is no need to burden an uninfected system with multiple malware scanners. I have seen machines so loaded down with anti-malware products they could hardly function.

In addition, due to changes in the way Internet Explorer works, those anti-malware products that place thousands of sites in the "Restricted Sites Zone" as their only method of protection are extremely likely to have a negative impact on a system by slowing it appreciably while the user is writing e-mail or posting messages. Microsoft never intended the "Restricted Sites Zone" to hold thousands of entries.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Chewy » February 18th, 2008, 4:25 pm

the mvps's hosts file is currently 662,352 bytes
Chewy

Unread postby NonSuch » February 18th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I have used the MVPS Hosts file for a long time. The MVPS Hosts file does not place sites in the Restricted Sites Zone. However, one must remember to stop the DNS Client service and change its startup type to either manual or disabled, which will avoid a possible slow-down due to the large number of entries in the Hosts file. That's an easy tweak and it works.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Drewcat » February 18th, 2008, 9:13 pm

When I said

The experts here recommend the ones that are best for people, for a variety of reasons such as safety, system resources and any particular program related problem.

My point was what ends up on different forums or individuals recommendation lists take in to consideration many things. All forums/helpers give options but they aren't going to give all options under the sun. Only a few of each type that they feel are best for most people.

some programs go downhill, some get better, some disappear

People around here are well aware of these type of changes as I already mentioned and change their lists accordingly.

Where honesty, neutrality, black and white came in I don't know. If you disagree with me Chewy, we can agree to disagree. I am not even sure what you disagree with me about. No one said SAS is a horrible program. I said it isn't one on most peoples recommendation lists here so it probably won't be making it onto the forums recommended list.
Drewcat

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next

Return to Suggestions and Requests