now when I clicked on the IE8 shortcut the web fired right up just like it should and I didn't have to wait on the email link either, things are looking up.
I ran the ESET online scanner, no threats were found.
Good job! Your computer appears to be free from malware.
Now, some clean-up steps:
You should still have this on your desktop, if so, please ignore the download instructions.
Please download OTL Save it to your Desktop.
- Right click on OTL.exe select "Run As Administrator" to run it. If prompted by UAC, please allow it.[/color][/b]
- Press the CleanUp button.
- When done, you will be prompted to reboot your system to finish file removal... please select OK to reboot your computer.
Update your Internet Explorer
You can find the latest version, here.
Create a System Restore Point
- Right-click on Computer and select Properties.
- In the left pane under Tasks, click System protection.
If UAC prompts for an administrator password or approval, type the password or give your "permission to continue".
- Select System Protection and choose Create.
- In the System Restore dialog box, type a description for the restore point, like "All-clean", click Create.
A window will pop up with "The Restore Point was created successfully" confirmation message.
- Click OK and close the System Restore dialog.
Now you have a clean restore point.
Note: You have to have administrative rights to run Disk Cleanup for "All" users.
- Click Start button. Type disk in the Start Search text entry box.
- Double click the Disk Cleanup entry, from the matching program list.
- In the Disk Cleanup options select "Files from all users on this computer"
If the Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection dialog box appears:
- Select the drive where Windows is installed. (Normally, this would be C:\ drive)
- Press the "OK"...button.
- When the calculations are finished... Press the More Options tab.
- In the "System Restore and Shadow Copies" section... select "Clean up" button.
- Press the "Delete"... button, at the "Are you sure..." prompt.
Disk Cleanup will begin cleaning up old files and restore points.
- Exit Disk Cleanup.
This will remove all restore points except the one you just created.
Don't forget to re-enable your security programs!
To help minimize the chances of becoming re-infected, please read.
Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online
If your computer is running slowly after your clean up, please read.
What to do if your Computer is running slowly
Please reply to this post so I know you have read it. If you don't have any further questions this thread will be closed.