Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Malware "Windows Home Protector"

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Malware "Windows Home Protector"

Unread postby diver79 » August 11th, 2012, 10:28 am

Hi reallyfreespirit,

My apologies I hadn't realised that Windows Vista uses a different method than Windows 7 to clean up system files. Updated instructions below.

Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
  1. Click Start >> in the Search Programs and Files search box type cleanmgr and press OK
    • If you are prompted to select which files to cleanup select Files from all users on this computer.
  2. Select the C: drive and click OK.
  3. Ensure the following boxes are checked;
    • Recycle Bin
    • Temporary Files
    • Temporary Internet Files
  4. Windows 7 users only - select the Clean Up System Files button.
    • Select the C: drive again and select OK.
  5. Select the More Options tab and under System Restore and Shadow Copies click the Clean up button.
  6. Select Delete, Press OK and Delete Files to confirm

Let me know if these instructions worked for you.

diver79.
diver79
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby reallyfreespirit » August 11th, 2012, 11:17 pm

It didn't happen quite as the sequence you provided. I think it did complete, as the Recycle Bin is empty and the Clean Up box disappeared after the OK in instruction #6. What else should I look at to confirm?

Another question:
Some time back an MBR.dat file and an aswMBR application file and text file was created and remains in my Downloads directory. Should these be saved or deleted? If I recall, I saved the files on a USB drive, but want to confirm that they might be of future use.
reallyfreespirit

Unread postby diver79 » August 12th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Hi reallyfreespirit,

You can view your system restore points using the instructions below. You should only have restore points from after you ran the cleanup.

• Click the Start Button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  • Click Next at the Restore System Files and settings window.
  • You should now be able to view your current restore points. Note: Do not continue with the restore process. Click cancel once you have verified your available restore points.

Re: MBR.dat
This file is a backup of your master boot record. Some infections target this area of the computer as it loads before the Operating System loads. Having a backup is a good idea. You can delete the file from the desktop if you already have it stored on USB.

I will leave the topic open for another day to allow you respond with any questions you may have.

diver79
diver79
Retired Graduate

Unread postby reallyfreespirit » August 12th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Restore points appear only as 8/11 and 8/12, which are correct and the only ones that should be there.
Yes, I have saved the MBR.dat file on a USB drive.

Many thanks for your great assistance in resolving my malware issues.
I will install malware protection and continue with completing a backup process.

Hopefully, I will be smart enough to avoid any future issue such as this.
reallyfreespirit

Unread postby diver79 » August 12th, 2012, 4:18 pm

reallyfreespirit wrote:Restore points appear only as 8/11 and 8/12, which are correct and the only ones that should be there.
Yes, I have saved the MBR.dat file on a USB drive.
Good.

reallyfreespirit wrote:Many thanks for your great assistance in resolving my malware issues.
I will install malware protection and continue with completing a backup process.
You're most welcome.

reallyfreespirit wrote:Hopefully, I will be smart enough to avoid any future issue such as this.
Yes, hopefully. I linked to this earlier but you may not have read it. It should help Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online
diver79
Retired Graduate

Unread postby NonSuch » August 12th, 2012, 10:40 pm

As this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous