Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Please check my DDS- Is my computer infected? I need to know

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Please check my DDS- Is my computer infected? I need to

Unread postby MRG1 » December 28th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Malwarebytes took over an hour, downloading virus updates and software updates. I ran a quick scan last night and again this morning. NADA- Malwarebytes has never come up with anything, yet I continue to have problems.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800
http://www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2011.12.28.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514
Mary :: SEBASTIAN [administrator]

12/28/2011 12:14:45 PM
mbam-log-2011-12-28 (12-14-45).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 169822
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

IE continues to lock up at least once a day. I have to restart the machine to clear things. (If the locking up of tabs does not happen- Many times, I am unable to delete cookies. When I bring up tools off IE8 on the right, "Internet Options" and other categories are lighter in color and I am unable to click. I don't know what causes this. I have to go to my left, hit the start button and get into the system that way to delete cookies. This does not fix the problem on IE and I usually end up restarting the machine to clear things. Sometimes pages look like they are not downloading correctly. The pages look disorganized and everything is in a different font. I will refresh or click on a link, the page comes back up and looks ok.

The rest of the computer is fine, but a little slow when I ask it to give me Windows update installed history. Sometimes I think my browser is defective, but it could be from an infection. Internet connection slow yesterday. Monday the connection was better. Amazon was really slow and I was kicked off numerous times. Makes window shopping a real drag.

When I do a search on the computer, all results come up underlined. I don't know what causes that. It just started doing that. When I do a search for Internet Explorer, I get 3 results- 64bit, what I think is 32bit and "No add-ons." I can't explain this either. Maybe this is part of the problem. Maybe not-

Thank you-
Mary
MRG1

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby troy3636 » December 28th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Hi MRG1,

Mary wrote:When I do a search for Internet Explorer, I get 3 results- 64bit, what I think is 32bit and "No add-ons."
This is normal. The "No add-ons" version is just Internet Explorer with all the extras disabled and can be used for troubleshooting.

After a pretty thorough look at your system I do not see any evidence of malware.
The sypmtoms you describe here at MRU and here at Lenovo Community are typical of a slow dial up connection.

There are however a few more security issues on your computer that should be taken care of.

Step 1
Create a System Restore Point
  1. Click on Start ... Right-click on Computer ... select Properties.
  2. In the left pane click System protection.
    If UAC prompts for an administrator password or approval, type the password or give your "permission to continue".
  3. Select System Protection ...then choose Create.
  4. In the System Restore dialog box, type a description for the restore point ... click Create, again.
    A window will pop up with "The Restore Point was created successfully" confirmation message.
  5. Click OK ...then close the System Restore dialog.
If you do not see the message The Restore Point was created successfully DO NOT continue post back here to let me know.

Step 2
Cleanup

• Right-click OTM.exe and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Click the CleanUp! button
    This will remove all the tools we used.
  • Select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? Prompt appears
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes
  • The program will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTM attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

Older versions of Adobe Reader are vulnerable to infections and are targeted by malware writers.
Step 3
Add/Remove programs
  • Click on start
  • In the search box please copy/paste appwiz.cpl Then click on appwiz.cpl.
  • Select the following from the list and click the uninstall button.
Adobe Reader 9.3

Step 4
Adobe Reader X
Please download the current version of Adobe Reader...Copyright © Adobe Systems Inc.
Please UNCHECK the box for the: Free McAfee® Security Scan Plus.
  1. Click the yellow "Download now"... button. If you don't already have Adobe DLM... you may receive a prompt.
    Adobe DLM software removal instructions available here...if wanted.
  2. The Adobe installer will check your system and begin the installation process. Use the default installation parameters.
  3. When the installation is complete... Close and re-open your Internet browser.

Adobe Reader X - recommended (safety) program settings
When the program is open, click on Edit and select Preferences. In the categories below, use these settings:
  • Javascript - Uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.
  • Security (Enhanced) - Uncheck Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones.
  • Secure Trust Manager- Uncheck Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications.

Registry Cleaners
While analysing your logs, I noticed Free Window Registry Repair
Re. Free Window Registry Repair
I don't personally recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners. Here is an excerpt from a discussion on reg cleaners.
Most reg cleaners aren't bad as such, but they aren't perfect and even the best have been known to cause problems. The point we are trying to make is that the risk of using one far outweighs any benefit. If it does work perfectly you will not see any difference. If it doesn't work properly you may end up with an expensive doorstop.
This post by Bill Castner is very informative: WhatTheTech Forum

A few tips to help you stay clean
If you want to stay malware free, you must keep your software up to date. Here are a couple of free programs that will help with that.
Make sure you keep Windows updated.
Make sure you keep the latest updates installed for Internet explorer. (This is important even if you typically use a different browser).

Some reccomended reading
Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online
What to do if your Computer is running slowly

A little caution while surfing can go a long way toward staying clean. Stay away from dodgy web-sites and be carefull what you click on.

Please let me know if you have any questions. If not please acknowledge that you have read this and I will have this topic closed.

Happy Surfing, :)
Troy
troy3636

Unread postby MRG1 » December 28th, 2011, 5:09 pm

That's great that my computer is not infected!
A very nice Christmas gift! ;)

All the software that I have downloaded, suggested by you and others in this process-
(Should I transfer to a disc for possible future use, delete them or what?)

I have downloaded, but did not install-
tdsskiller
HiJackThis
Microsoft System Sweeper

Downloaded and used-
DDS
OTM
System Look

And in your opinion, which is better- AVAST, Microsoft Security Essentials and or MalwareBytes? Avast and SS all slow things down. Can you recommend a program that doesn't weight my system down? Can I get by using just MalwareBytes?

I will participate in the forums, etc, that you suggested above-
If my connection does not improve, then I will go high speed!

THANK YOU!!
Mary
MRG1

Unread postby troy3636 » December 28th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Hi Mary,

Mary wrote:All the software that I have downloaded, suggested by you and others in this process-
(Should I transfer to a disc for possible future use, delete them or what?)
The following should be deleted. These tools are constantly being updated (sometimes daily) so if they are needed at some point in the future they would be outdated and have to be downloaded again anyway.
  • HiJackThis
  • Microsoft System Sweeper

The other tools we used will be taken care of when you complete step 2 in the instructions above.

Mary wrote:And in your opinion, which is better- AVAST, Microsoft Security Essentials and or MalwareBytes? Avast and SS all slow things down. Can you recommend a program that doesn't weight my system down? Can I get by using just MalwareBytes?
I personally use Avast but, many here prefer Microsoft Security Essentials, so that comes down to personal preference. Because you have MSE already installed I would stay with it.
Malwarebytes is a very effective antimalware program but, it does not have an Anti-Virus component so it is not sufficient by itself.
Viruses and malware are not the same thing, and the programs used to detect and protect against them operate in significantly different ways, so it is important that you have one of each installed on your computer.
Installing more than one of each will cause conflicts and will result in less not more protection.

Mary wrote:THANK YOU!!

You are very welcome. :)
Troy
troy3636

Unread postby deltalima » December 31st, 2011, 7:10 pm

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous