We are going to remove the policies that are protecting Internet Explorers home page. Please run the fix below and let me know if the IE homepage changes back to smartwebsearch.
Step 1 - Create a System Restore Point
- Right-click on the Computer icon and select Properties.
- In the left pane under Tasks ... click on System protection.
If UAC prompts for an administrator password or approval, type the password or give your "permission to continue".
- Select the System Protection tab ...then choose Create.
- In the System Restore dialog box, type a description for the restore point ... click Create, again.
A window will pop up with "The Restore Point was created successfully" confirmation message.
- Click OK ...then close the System Restore dialog.
If you have successfully created a System Restore Point...we can proceed.
Step 2 - Run OTL Script
We need to run an OTL Fix
- Right-click on OTL.exe and select Run as Administrator.
- Copy and Paste the following code into the textbox. Do not include the word Code
- Code: Select all
:otl IE - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.smartwebsearch.net/index.php?from=3 O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\control panel present O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\restrictions present :files ipconfig /flushdns /c :commands [emptyflash] [emptytemp] [emptyjava] [clearallrestorepoints]
- Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
- Click .
- OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.
- The report should appear in Notepad after the reboot.Copy and Paste that report in your next reply.