Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Invected with fake anti-virus

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Invected with fake anti-virus

Unread postby Gary R » November 18th, 2011, 2:23 am

The files found by E-Set have in my opinion been false flagged due to their functionality. With the exception of the file in the java cache, which can be removed as follows .....

• Click Start > Control Panel > Programs > double-click on the Java Icon (coffee cup).
  • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
  • Now click the Delete Files ... button.
  • This will open the Delete Temporary Files Window
    • There are 2 options in the window to clear the cache - Leave both ticked
    • Click OK. Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Now click OK to exit out of any open Java Control Panel windows.

Next

Time to remove the programs we've been using to clean your computer.

Let's clear out OTL and the files and folders it created. This will also remove TDSSKiller.
  • Double click OTL.exe to launch the programme.
  • Click on the CleanUp! button.
  • OTL will download a list from the Internet, if your firewall or other defensive programmes alerts you, allow it access.
  • You will be prompted to allow the clean up procedure, click Yes
  • When finished exit out of OTL
  • Now delete OTL.exe (if still present).

As far as I can see, your computer looks clear of infection now.

Are you still noticing any problems ?
  • If you are let me know about them.
  • If not it's time to make your computer more secure.

Please read the article below which will give you a few suggestions for how to minimise your chances of getting another infection.

If your computer is running slowly after your clean up, please read.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby gestalt » November 19th, 2011, 12:26 am

Gary, thank you very much for all your help. I removed all previously installed s/w as per your instructions and read the articles. You listed F-Secure among other a/v packages. Interestingly enough, F-Secure was the comprehensive security package (firewall, anti-spam, anti-virus) that Shaw Cable (Canada) provided all their customers (myself included) with as part of their subscription. About a month ago they discontinued F-Secure and replaced it with McAfee. Very soon I contracted the "fake anti-virus" malware that took so much effort (with your assistance) to get rid of. Later on, searching the Web anti-virus forums, I learned that McAfee has been aware of this infection since 2010, but hasn't taken any action to block it to this very day. Needless to say, F-Secure never allowed this kind of things to happen (I've had it installed for at least 5 years, and possibly longer).

One final question: your advised to run ESET Online Scanner as part of your clean-up instructions. Is it better than Trend Micro's HouseCall (which is also on your recommended tools list)?
gestalt

Unread postby Gary R » November 19th, 2011, 2:38 am

You're welcome, glad we were able to help. :)

Both E-set and Trend Micro do a good job as online scanners, however I generally use E-set because it's usually one of the first to update its definitions for the latest infections, and because it produces a log output that I'm most familiar with.

Most of the mainstream onboard AV programs do a good job of protection, but none of them will assure you of 100% protection. Personally I'm not a fan of the big 2 (Norton and McAfee), not because they're not effective, but because they're heavy on resources and difficult to remove fully if you ever decide to move to an alternative product.

Since your problems now appear to have been resolved .....

This topic is closed.

Keep safe. :thumbright:
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Previous