Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Problem with Icons Disappearing and Black Desktop

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Problem with Icons Disappearing and Black Desktop

Unread postby LastRaven » November 6th, 2011, 11:03 am

Hi all,

I just got a computer that has some serious malware issues.

It's a Dell Inspiron 9300 running Windows XP.

When I turned it on, a blue "Windows System Restore" box appeared when starting it under the standard mode and said it was repairing and to continue. It kept going and lots of popups appeared, culminating in one saying to "fix" the problems I would have to buy the "rest" of the program, though I shut it down before it got further than that. The result was that the desktop went black and essentially nothing really worked on the computer, even in safe mode. When I restarted it into safe mode, it wouldn't even allow me to access the network setup.

I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which found a few infections and claimed to fix it. However, the black desktop still won't be relieved and I couldn't see the programs in the start menu.

I ran the command:

attrib -h -s *.* /S /D

in the C:\ command line prompt, which lead me to see some things in the Start > All Programs tab (like Acessories, Malwarebytes, Dell Programs), but still not the majority of the programs that were installed on the computer.

I can only see the new things I install on the computer, like Malwarebytes.

Any advice on the next steps would be of great help to try and recover my PC.

I'm taking a risk by using a USB stick to transfer some programs to the infected computer and like I said, there's no access to the internet from the infected one, so keep that in mind.

Thanks!

PS. Here are the requested files attached to the post. Both the DDS.txt and Attach.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LastRaven

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Problem with Icons Disappearing and Black Desktop

Unread postby deltalima » November 6th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Posting Logs as Attachments

May I draw your attention to the topic: ALL USERS OF THIS FORUM MUST READ THIS FIRST, which you should have read before posting for help.

The section Logs posted as attachments explains why you should not post attachments unless the helper assisting you requests that you do so. Thank you for your understanding.