Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Machine Slow / Whacky Google

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Machine Slow / Whacky Google

Unread postby askey127 » October 17th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Anatol,
The logs don't show any infections now.
--------------------------------------------------------
Download and Install the newest version of Adobe Reader for reading pdf files, due to the vulnerabilities in earlier versions.
All versions numbered lower than 10.1 are vulnerable. (The same vulnerability exists in Adobe Acrobat)
Go HERE to download AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe
Save the file to your desktop and run it to install the latest version of Adobe Reader.
After the new Reader is installed, Open Adobe Reader X, as it is called, and OK the license.
Click on Edit and select Preferences.
On the Left, click on the Javascript category and Uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.
Click on the Security (Enhanced) category and Uncheck Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones.
Click on the Trust Manager category and Uncheck Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications.
Click the OK button
When it finishes, you can remove the Installer from your desktop.
--------------------------------------------------------
If you are still getting excessive disk activity, it may be caused by the Indexing service, whcih indexes all files on your machine to make searches faster.
Unfortunately, it also can take a lot of activity to keep the indexing current, especially on a machine with lots of files..
If you don't do a lot of Windows searches for file locations, we can disable indexing and see if it's satisfactory that way.

Tell me how it's running.
askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Anatol » October 17th, 2011, 9:46 pm

It seems to run better. I'll update acrobat reader. I still have a problem with google. I start off at: http://www.google.com/search?q=google&i ... =firefox-a
Then if I click on a link in the search results, it takes me to: http://www.google.com/webhp?emsg=NCSR&n ... 0AHh_uiKCQ

Running firefox 7.0.1, should I remove and re-install?
I would like to disable indexing, don't really need it. Thanks so much for your help and consideration.

Anatol
Anatol

Unread postby askey127 » October 18th, 2011, 11:28 am

Anatol,
One of your plugins or add-ons is doing that (maybe Google Earth?).
If you decide to reinstall Firefox, Uninstall it first, then remove these two folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\
C:\Users\Customer\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\Firefox\

Then download and install Firefox again.
---------------------------------------------------
To get a handle on the Indexing function, you may want to download the Indexer Status gadget.
If you install it you can check status of the indexer, and stop/start it any time.
It's here: http://brandontools.com/content/Indexer ... adget.aspx

askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Anatol » October 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Good news, I was able to re-install firefox and it is behaving properly.
Bad news, I use open office and now it can't find Java RTE. I did install it as you recommended. When I got to OO, it asks for the location of the Java RTE. I try pointing it to the location where it is installed, but no joy. Any suggestion is welcome.

Anatol
Anatol

Unread postby Anatol » October 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Good news, I was able to re-install firefox and it is behaving properly.
Bad news, I use open office and now it can't find Java RTE. I did install it as you recommended. When I got to OO, it asks for the location of the Java RTE. I try pointing it to the location where it is installed, but no joy. Any suggestion is welcome.

Anatol
Anatol

Unread postby askey127 » October 20th, 2011, 8:28 am

I would just Download and install OpenOffice 3.3.
http://www.openoffice.org/
It will take care of its own Java during the installation.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby askey127 » October 21st, 2011, 6:37 am