Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Cannot connect to Internet Explorer

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Cannot connect to Internet Explorer

Unread postby melboy » June 21st, 2011, 8:20 am

Hi

Leave the Java update for now, we'll come back to that.

My sincere apologies kemsing, but by freak of chance it looks a though OTC may well have deleted OTL.pst from the root of your C: drive by mistake.

Lets see if we can rectify this.

Copy all of the contents inside the codebox below (Do Not include Code:)
Code: Select all
cmd /c copy /y "C:\Documents and Settings\Lee\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Personal Folders(1).pst" "C:\otl.pst"

Click Start > Run and paste the copied contents into the Run box and Click OK.

See if you can then open outlook without error. let me know in your next post.
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby kemsing » June 21st, 2011, 9:24 am

Have Pasted and then tried to open Out look.The following message has come up:
The Location messages are delivered to has changed for this user profile.To complete this operation, you may need to copy the contents of the old outlook folders to the new outlook folders.For information about how to complete the change of your mail delivery location see microsoft outlook help. Some of the shortcuts on the outlook bar may no longer work, do you want to recreate your shortcuts? All Shortcuts you have created will be removed. Yes or No?
Do I Press Yes or do you have other instructions you want me to follow?
kemsing

Unread postby melboy » June 21st, 2011, 12:39 pm

Hi

Go ahead and click Yes to that prompt.
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Unread postby kemsing » June 21st, 2011, 12:52 pm

It now looks as though Outlook is opening OK but I seem to have lost all of the contents of my Inbox, Sent Items shows a range of e-mails from 2004 to 2006. Is There any way of retrieving my e-mails back to my inbox or are they now permanantly lost in Cyber e-mail space?
I Do appreciate all the help you are giving and appreciate the fact that sometimes things might not go as planned
kemsing

Unread postby melboy » June 21st, 2011, 5:02 pm

Hi Kemsing

There are instructions here for opening a data file (.pst)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlo ... 43221.aspx

You have 3 data files (.pst)

1. otl.pst
  2. Personal Folders(1).pst
  3. Outlook.pst

A data file is a Personal Folders file (.pst)
(Personal Folders file (.pst): Data file that stores your messages and other items on your computer. You can assign a .pst file to be the default delivery location for e-mail messages. You can use a .pst to organize and back up items for safekeeping.)

You can try examining each of the files to see if any up to date messages appear in them.

• Open Outlook.
  • On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Outlook Data File.
  • Click the .pst file you want to open, and then click OK.
  • The name of the folder associated with the data file appears in the Folder List
    (Folder List: Displays the folders available in your mailbox. To view subfolders, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder. If the Folder List is not visible, on the Go menu, click Folder List.)

• To view the Folder List, on the Go menu, click Folder List. By default, the folder will be called Personal Folders.

If you are unable to find any current mail then I fear they may be lost - Sorry.

Please let me know how you get on.
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Unread postby kemsing » June 22nd, 2011, 6:02 am

Hi Melboy
I Have gone into outlook and followed the details. The Only File that is there is Personal Folders(1).pst which has only 1 archived message in it, So it looks as though all other mail has been lost (luckily nothing too important that I can remember)
However it does look as though all current e-mails from the last day or so have been received OK.I haven't tried sending yet but am sure that should be OK.
I haven't tried to load Java again since saving it to the desktop and it timing out. As mentioned before could Winpatrol or Norton be preventing it?
kemsing

Unread postby melboy » June 22nd, 2011, 4:06 pm

Hi Kemsing

Whilst I am pleased to hear that you haven't lost anything important, please accept my sincere apologies.

OT Cleanup searches for tools that may have been used, past or present, for malware removal on your machine. A number of tools are searched for, but because of multiple download types being available for some, a wildcard is applied, but with with only a very limited number. Specific locations are searched, with the root of the system drive being one of those locations.

The chances of you having a data file, named explicitly similar to a tool we use, and located at the root of the system drive, were extremely remote.

For future reference, it's better to store data files in a folder & away from the root of the drive - That is, away from C:\
The default location for that file would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Again, my apologies.

----------

So, back to Java.

I wouldn't think Norton would block the download & definately not WinPatrol. Can you download Java directly from this link? Try saving it to your desktop.
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Unread postby kemsing » June 23rd, 2011, 4:32 am

Luckily some Documents i had saved which were important are no longer needed, so not to worry about Outlook, I'm just thankful with your help we have it up and running again.
I have tried Java Again and tried saving to Desktop' it has downloaded for about 20 minutes and then the same error message "Internet explorer cannot download jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe from download . oracle.com The connection with the server was reset."
kemsing

Unread postby melboy » June 23rd, 2011, 6:35 am

Hi kemsing

We'll try a different update mirror - It may just be the amount of traffic Oracle's servers are experiencing with the update, or a busy time of day you are trying to download it yourself.

1. Using Internet Explorer, click this link

• Depending on your File Download preferences, you may land on the Softpedia download page, or be offered the File Download dialogue box.
    • If you receive the File Download dialogue box, skip to step #5

2. Should you land on the Softpedia download page, after a short pause, your Information bar should prompt you to allow the file download
  3. Click the Information bar and choose Allow Download...
  4. After another short pause the File Download dialogue box will appear.
  5. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
  6. Once downloaded, Close Internet Explorer.
  7. Double click jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe to install Java

Let me know if this was successful.
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Unread postby kemsing » June 23rd, 2011, 9:41 am

Have now managed to download Java with softpedia. Many Thanks. Are there any other instructions to check? I Do much appreciate all the help and patience despite loosing the e-mails, but would much better have a safer computing environment that is trouble free
kemsing

Unread postby melboy » June 23rd, 2011, 9:52 am

Hi

Great - Well done. :)

This is my general post for when your logs show no signs of malware - Please let me know if you still are having problems with your computer and what these problems are.

• Make sure that you keep your antivirus updated
    New viruses come out every minute, so it is essential that you have the latest signatures for your antivirus program to provide you with the best possible protection from malicious software.
    Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.
    Uninstall Tools for Major Antivirus Products

• Security Updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
    Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch so that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC. Keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC. Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab or visit the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis.
    Note: The update process uses ActiveX, so you will need to use internet explorer for it and allow the ActiveX control to install.

• Update Non-Microsoft Programs
    Microsoft isn't the only company whose products can contain security vulnerabilities. To check whether other programs running on your PC are in need of an update, you can use the Secunia Software Inspector - I suggest that you run it at least once a month.

Recommended Programs

I would recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (if not already present), and the updating of them on a regular basis.

• Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    As you already have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on board I would keep it regularly updated and run regular quick scans with it. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is an anti-malware application that can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware. The Full version can be used as an addition to an anti-virus & includes a number of features, including a built in protection monitor that blocks malicious processes before they even start.
    It's IP Protection provides an additional layer of security for your computer, by preventing access to known malicious IP addresses and IP ranges.
    You can now trial the full versions features within the program. Click the Protection Tab to see.

• Hosts File
    For added protection you may also like to add a host file. A simple explanation of what a Hosts file does is HERE and for more information regarding host files read HERE.

Finally I am trying to make one point very clear. It is absolutely essential to keep all of your programs up to date.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Happy surfing and stay clean!
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Unread postby kemsing » June 24th, 2011, 9:16 am

Many Thanks Melboy, as far as I am aware no further problems. I have read above and used secunia and will consider the information regards Host Files.
Thanks again for all your help. I hope I won't need your services, but great to know Help is at hand if needed
kemsing

Unread postby melboy » June 24th, 2011, 11:34 am

You're most welcome. :)
melboy
MRU Expert
MRU Expert

Unread postby Wingman » June 24th, 2011, 11:45 am

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.
We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you are satisfied with our assistance and wish to donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site, please read :
Donations For Malware Removal
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous