Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Non - Profit infected with Torpig

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Non - Profit infected with Torpig

Unread postby doozerfan » June 1st, 2011, 10:01 pm

I work for a non-profit. We are very broke right now. We have been informed by our internet service provider that we have a computer infected with Torpig. I see that you only support home computers. Would you consider helping us? We are an arts organization providing choral and dance instruction to young people aged 3 to 30. We have about 9 computers, the newest of which is a4 years old. Still running Windows XP and Office 2003 - can't afford to upgrade. I have run mawarebytes, stinger, micosoft scanner, and housecall on almost all computers and have not found Torpig. Ran F-Secure on one computer but found nothing. I only I could figure out which computer was infected! If you can't help - can you make some suggestions as to where I might turn.

Thanks
Cathy
doozerfan

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Non - Profit infected with Torpig

Unread postby askey127 » June 4th, 2011, 7:42 am

Hi doozerfan,
Unfortunately, we cannot help with the situation you have.
First, we only work on Home computers. In addition, the situation you have is not suitable for online remedies.

Torpig (or Mebroot) is an extremely serious infection involving the Master Boot Record of the hard drives.
(This infection can come from the use of P2P programs like utorrent, Limewire, etc. used to download shared "free" music, etc.)

The infected computer becomes part of a "zombie" network under complete control of outside criminals.
Any computer thus infected with this "worm", can spread it to any other machine on the same network.
So, all the machines would have to be removed from the network, and they can only be put back, one at a time, as they are cleaned up.
One mistake about the connection of an infected one, and the whole process would have to start over.

Any of the computers need to be cleaned by a technician AFTER being brought offline.
For this infection, this will usually involve "wiping" the drive, removing the partitions, then re-installing and reformatting the partitions.
Then Windows can be re-installed, updated and supplied with an up to date antivirus.

An example of the recommended process from University of California : http://cnc.ucr.edu/security/announcemen ... broot.html
For the future, computers used by the public should be operated from Limited type User accounts to restrict the damage from risky Internet behavior.

Sorry we cannot help directly, but hopefully this will give you some idea about the meaning of your situation.

askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby doozerfan » June 6th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Thank you for giving me some direction on next steps - much appreciated.
doozerfan

Unread postby askey127 » June 6th, 2011, 3:01 pm