Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

unable to run dds

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: unable to run dds

Unread postby Carolyn » April 18th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I'm afraid I have bad news. The Event Viewer Messages in Attach.txt indicate that your computer has been compromised by a file infector.

A file infecting virus, for example Virut, is able to modify itself each and every time it runs. In addition, when it infects, sometimes it will destroy the file it tries to latch onto. For these reasons, you really can't truly fix such infections. You will need to format/reinstall the operating system on this machine.

More information:
http://free.avg.com/66558
There are bugs in the viral code. When the virus produces infected files, it also creates non-functional files that also contain the virus.

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=143034
W32/Virut.h is a polymorphic, entry point obscuring (EPO) file infector with IRC bot functionality. It can accept commands to download other malware on the compromised machine.
It appends to the end of the last section of executable (PE) files an encrypted copy of its code. The decryptor is polymorphic and can be located either:
Immediately before the encrypted code at the end of the last section
At the end of the code section of the infected host in 'slack-space' (assuming there is any)
At the original entry point of the host (overwriting the original host code)

Miekiemoes, an expert for malware removal, and an MS-MVP, additionally has a blog post about Virut.

I suggest that you backup all of your valuable data/documents/pictures/movies/songs/etc..
Do NOT backup any applications/installers and Do NOT backup any .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files...
This because these files may be infected as well. If you back them up and replace them afterwards, it will infect your computer again.

Read here for instructions how to format and reinstall Windows
:

http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-format.html

After you reinstall XP, it is extremely important that you install XP SP3. SP2 is no longer supported so you do not receive security updates from Microsoft. Those security updates are necessary to ensure that your computer will not be reinfected.

For more information on keeping your computer safe, please read Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby nala66 » April 19th, 2011, 2:47 pm

hi thanks for your help.
just to check if i put all my photos i want to keep onto a usb stick is that ok there is no way the virus can attach itself to them is there?
also if i was to go onto my online banking can my details be compromised?
nala66

Unread postby Carolyn » April 19th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Your photos should be fine. Scan them with an antivirus program before copying them to the clean computer to be certain that's the case though.

I would play it safe and use a known clean computer to change all of my online passwords.
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby nala66 » April 19th, 2011, 3:41 pm

the only thing with my banking is i use egg banking and they store my passwords for my other banking which I cant remember.
If I was to log into egg note down my passwords for other banking then change them on a clean computer that should be ok do you think?
nala66

Unread postby nala66 » April 19th, 2011, 3:42 pm

I have another clean computer at home so could change passwords almost immediatley
nala66

Unread postby Carolyn » April 19th, 2011, 5:55 pm

:thumbleft:

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you are ready for this topic to be closed.
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Carolyn » April 23rd, 2011, 11:43 am

As the resolution of this issue requires a reformat, and there have been no further questions posted regarding that process, this topic is now closed.

You can help support this site from this link:
Donations For Malware Removal
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous