Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Search Engine Results Redirected

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Search Engine Results Redirected

Unread postby askey127 » April 10th, 2011, 7:40 am

jennebelle,
I think your machine is clean.
Let's clean up our tools, and install extra protection.
Going forward, always have just one Antivirus program only, and one Antispyware program
At the moment Malwarebytes is the best, safest, Anti-Spyware program available.
I would suggest keeping Antivir as your antivirus, or buying the paid version.
I you ever switch to a new antivirus program, always be sure to Uninstall the old one.
Another good free, antivirus program is Microsoft Security Essentials: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
-------------------------------------------------------
Start OTL
Click on the Clean Up button.
----------------------------------------------
A Hosts file can be used to protect you from inadvertent connection to tens of thousand of malicious web sites.
It is a very useful safeguard. Here's how to install one, if you would like to do so:
Download the hpHosts file installer from here: http://support.it-mate.co.uk/downloads/hpHosts-Setup-Win32.exe
Save it to your desktop.
  • For XP, double click the Installer to run it.
  • Click the button to Accept the agreement
  • Click Next
  • Click Install
  • When the screen labeled Completing the hp HOSTS Setup Wizard appears, BE SURE to check the box labeled "Disable the DNS Client (Recommended)".
    (If you don't check that box, the next boot up may take a very long time, and the internet will be slow.)
  • Click Finish.
Now you can delete the installer from your desktop.

If you don't have any additional issues, then Good Luck !
askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby jennebelle » April 10th, 2011, 11:05 pm

I have paid for AVG, can I keep using it as my anti-virus? Or is Antivir better?
jennebelle

Unread postby askey127 » April 11th, 2011, 6:58 am

jennebelle,
You can use it if you want, but its Linkscanner toolbar is related to ASK.com, so any redirects, search suggestions, etc. or other info you get from that toolbar may be bogus. (Ask.com is on a lot of blocklists for spyware, but AVG gets paid to tack on its toolbar). AVG partnered with the P2P program Limewire right before Limewire was shut down by the courts.

Antivir and Microsoft Security Essentials are both good free antivirus programs. The paid version (about$20) of Antivir or the free Microsoft program either may prove more satisfactory than AVG, but it's your call.
askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby askey127 » April 14th, 2011, 3:00 pm