Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Trojan knocked out file association for EVERYthing, but then

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Trojan knocked out file association for EVERYthing, but then

Unread postby needanswers972 » March 26th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Hello! I have already run 90% of malware removers known to the net including malwarebytes. I had to run them from CDs or by right clicking on the start menu/programs list. There is nothing left for them to find - seems all of them found something different & then I ran them a second time to ensure it was clean. I still got this error message: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I can't find the logs now - so sorry - can't give them to you.

At any rate, I could not do anything, include get online. Anytime I clicked on ANYTHING on my computer (programs, etc.) I got the error.

Well, I read this little trick somewhere & installed it & oops! It helped to get the programs to function - but it's soooooo slow & this "Search Settings" business keeps popping up & other errors. I don't even have the add/remove programs option anymore which could have been the trojan or this dumb thing I installed. I'll post below all the errors I get - I can get on the Internet with IE & Firefox & then the error out. I am retyping here what I'd used on the machine that helped the one problem (but slowed everything waaaay down, but caused all these other problems!

Basically, I just want to undo what I did with the notepad & try to fix the original file association problem.

This is what I put on a notepad, saved to desktop & then ran (I use Vista - on a Sony vio laptop VGN-NS140E Vista 32 Home Premium Version 6.0.6002 service pack 2):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exe]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_ROOT\secfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"%\"%*"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"ContentType"="application/x-msdownload"

How in the heck do I undo this action I took?

So now I can access files, except I get errors. IE & Firefox errors & closes or freezes.

No ability to add or remove programs anymore - the icon is just not there & search gives no results.

Error 1: Search Settings Installer
Search Settings Installer will now close all instances of Internet Explorer (or Windows Explorer or Firefox) before continuing to proceed.

Error 2: This application has failed to start because st1port_r50.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Error 3: Search Settings v1.2.3
Please wait while window configures search settings v1.2.3 (& then it can't configure.)

Can anyone here help me to undo what I did with notepad & repair the damage done by the trojan with my file associations?

Can't find any of the malwarebytes logs to give you or any of the other results - beside, can't get on web to copy & paste to you & from what I saw before they got lost- trying to type all of that out? OMG

Thanks so very much!! Robin
needanswers972

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Trojan knocked out file association for EVERYthing, but

Unread postby NonSuch » March 26th, 2011, 7:40 pm

By posting just a description of your problems it is likely that your topic will be passed by and you will not receive the help you're looking for.

We need to know what's running on your computer so that we can give you appropriate instructions.

May I draw your attention to THIS topic, which you should have read, and which tells you what we need you to post so that we can help you.

This thread will now be closed.

If you still need help, please start a new thread with:-
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Details of your problems.

If for any reason you can't run DDS, please let us know in your post.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator