Good.the computer is running smoothly now. Start up is quick, and no freezing up.
Probably be prudent too reset your Router, apply a new admin' password and check for any firmware updates also as a precaution.Just another thing that I thought of.... we recently got a new FIOS connection with wireless router, we have had it for a little over a month. After years of being on DSL and having relatively no computer problems it sure is a coincidence that I suddenly had problems.
New Adobe Reader Installation:
- Go here and click on AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
- Save this file to your desktop and run it to install the latest version of Adobe Reader.
- After the new Reader is installed, Open Adobe Reader X. (Right click and Run as administrator in Visat/Win7)
- OK the license.
- Click on Edit and select Preferences.
- Click on the Security (Enhanced) category and Uncheck Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones.
- Click on the Trust Manager category and Uncheck Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications.
- Click the OK button
New Java Installation:
- Click here to visit Java's website.
- Scroll down to Java SE 6 Update 24 (JDK or JRE). Click on Download JRE.
- Select Windows from the drop-down list for Platform.
- Check (tick) Java SE Runtime Environment 6u24 with JavaFX License Agreement box and click on Continue.
- Click on jre-6u24-windows-i586.exe link to download it and save this to a convenient location.
- Double-click on jre-6u24-windows-i586.exe to install Java.
Note: During installation de-select the option to install McAfee Security Scan Plus.
ESET Online Scanner:
Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
- Please go here then click on: Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
- When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
- Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
- Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
- Scan for potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
- Now click on:
- The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
- When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
- Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
- When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
- Now click on:
- Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
- Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:
- How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
- Eset Log.