Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Windows Boot Failure / Fake Windows Safemode Ad-ware

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Windows Boot Failure / Fake Windows Safemode Ad-ware

Unread postby coolwave2029 » March 8th, 2011, 2:05 am

I'm having a serious issue with my acer laptop (currently running vista). After sign-in, the first thing to appear is a black screen with safe mode appearing in all corners and the vista service package at the top. A window appears that say " Windows Boot Failure . Press Ok to fix boot failure." If you hit ok another window opens , " Windows Disk Diagnostics Tool will scan the system to identify performance issue." If you hit scan, it fake scans then says a problem has been with the hard drive and that it is strongly recommended that you download and install the following certified software, obviously another malware.

During this the windows explorer is not running, and task manager is disabled.

So, what I have done already for this problem is booted into safe mode with command prompt, opened up regedit and removed the DisableTaskMgr. This allowed me to access task mgr upon restart. Then I was able to access explorer after running explorer.exe .

I tried installing malwarebytes onto the laptop after off of a usb key but I got the error, " windows cannot access the specified device ..." in other words it preventing me from running an executable files.
So I installed it onto the key using another laptop and was able run a scan. After removing, nothing was different and I am at a loss of what to do at this point.
coolwave2029

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Windows Boot Failure / Fake Windows Safemode Ad-ware

Unread postby deltalima » March 8th, 2011, 8:14 am

Checking your post - back soon.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby deltalima » March 8th, 2011, 8:23 am

Hi coolwave2029,

Welcome to the forum.

My nickname is deltalima and I will be helping you with your malware issue.

Please be aware that removing Malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Please note the following:
  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • Please do not run any scans or make any changes to the system unless I ask you too.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If after 3 days you have not responded to this topic, it will be closed, and you will need to start a new one.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Download DDS

Using a clean computer, please download DDS by sUBs from the link below and save it to your USB key.

Link

Now boot the infected computer into safe mode

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

• Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.
  • Shortly after two logs will appear:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
  • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Cypher » March 11th, 2011, 8:24 am

Due to a lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove