Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Complete shutdown

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Complete shutdown

Unread postby ontrust » March 9th, 2011, 2:01 pm

re: formatting the flash drive...there are files on it that I need...can I use the flash disinfector on it?
ontrust

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Dakeyras » March 9th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Hi. :)

no more symptoms...everything seems to be back to normal.
Good.

re: formatting the flash drive...there are files on it that I need...can I use the flash disinfector on it?
Fair play, if you have already used Flash Disinfector on the drive no need to re-run it again. What you could do instead of a format is actually run a Disk-Check on the drive...

Plug it in >> My Computer >> right click on the icon for the drive >> select Properties >> Tools

Under Error Checking >> click on Check Now... >> select both options >> Start >> OK when complete.

Next:

Is Combofix on the desktop or not? Only reason asking is...If it is I will provide uninstalltion instructions. Let myself know in your next reply, thank you.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby ontrust » March 9th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Thanks...no errors on the flash drive.

I never managed to get Combofix from the flashdrive onto the infected computer's Desktop. It remains on the flashdrive, though.
ontrust

Unread postby Dakeyras » March 9th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Hi. :)

Thanks...no errors on the flash drive.
Good and you're welcome!

I never managed to get Combofix from the flashdrive onto the infected computer's Desktop. It remains on the flashdrive, though.
Merely delete ComboFix from the drive then.

Next:

Congratulations your computer appears to be malware free!

Now I have some tasks for your good self to carry out as part of a clean up process and some advice about online safety.

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well.

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Reset SR Points/Clean up with OTL:

• Double-click OTL to start the program.
  • Copy the lines from the codebox to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
Code: Select all
:Commands
[ClearAllRestorePoints]
  • Return to OTL, right-click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window (under the cyan bar) and choose Paste.
  • Then click the red Run Fix button.
  • Let the program run unhindered. When finished click on OK and close the log that appears.
  • Note: I do not need to review the log produced.
  • Now close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
  • On the OTL main screen, depress the CleanUp button.
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

The above process will flush old System Restore points and create a new clean one. It should also clean up and remove the vast majority of scanners used and logs created etc.

Any left over merely delete yourself and empty the Recycle Bin.

Now some advice for on-line safety:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

This is a excellent application and I advise you keep this installed. Check for updates and run a scan once at least once per week.

Other installed security software:

Your presently installed security application, Avira AntiVir Personal automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this also once per week.

Erunt:

Emergency Recovery Utility NT, I advice you keep this installed as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
Never open emails from unknown senders.
Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice is avoid these types of software applications.

Hosts File:

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your computer will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

Only use one of the above!

Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby ontrust » March 9th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Dakeyras:

Thank you for you assistance.
Your manner was professional and efficient, and communications were concise and accurate. You are an asset to M.R.!

LML
ontrust

Unread postby Dakeyras » March 10th, 2011, 7:14 am

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment! :)
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Carolyn » March 11th, 2011, 10:03 am

As this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!