Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

HELP with malware removal

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: HELP with malware removal

Unread postby walt5137 » February 15th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Hello askey127,

I called Charter Communications, he internet provider, and, of course, they did not seem to understand the problem and could not provide me with their IP addresses.

But, they were very nice.

They are good at resetting the modem so I let them do that.

Then I called Linksys and told them I wanted to reinstall my router just as though it was a brand new one with no settings in it. They eventually understood and after about 2 or 3 hours (can you believe it??) they walked me thru the process.

So, now, I have a new password (not "admin"), the Russian IP numbers are no longer present in the router (they were right there as DNS1 and DNS2). Now, on the summary page (not sure what it was called....) all the pertinent numbers are present including DNS1, DNS2, and DNS3....so there must be 3 alternates....and I assume these are the Charter numbers....

So, hopefully, the problem is solved.

By the way, I ran the computer for a few hours plugged directly into the modem before diung all of this and had no redirects at all.

So, am looking forward to operating using the router with the same results.

I feel like getting some kind of book to learn some of these terms and something more about how computers work.....funny, I was an engineer and did a lot of programming in Fortran 40 years or so ago.....lots of math related stuff in grad school but never learned how modern computers worked.....just how to turn them on and do simple things.

I cannot thank you enough for your help and will let you know in a couple of days that things are working normally for sure.

Thanks again,

walt
walt5137

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby askey127 » February 15th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Walt,
Glad to hear we at least have a handle on the issue.
When you are satisfied, you may wish to post a log from the other machine on the router just to be sure it's OK as well.

If you don't mind the one-a-day nag screen form Avira Antivir, I would keep it.
If you find it annoying, you can uninstall it and install the free Microsoft Security Essentials from here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
You could also choose to get the paid version of Avira Antivir. It's excellent.

If you go here http://www.all-freeware.com/download/35655/whois-view.html and click on the link labeled "Download (296Kb)" (Don't click on the Video Converter) you can use the downloaded program to look up the website owner of any IP address by plugging in the numbers.

askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby walt5137 » February 17th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Hello askey127,

Well, everything is still working great!!

I haven't had a chance to check out that whoisview site yet as have been busy with my sailboat as the weather is finally warming up. But will do so soon. Am wondering if all of these posts will still be accessible in 10 days or will they be "gone?"

Thanks again,

Walt
walt5137

Unread postby askey127 » February 17th, 2011, 5:46 pm

If you need to post again just start a new thread.
Copy the address at the top of this thread and save it in a text file so you can reference it in any new post.
This will be in the archived posts in a couple days.

Glad we could help.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby walt5137 » February 18th, 2011, 8:38 am

Hello askey127,

Thanks again very much...

Walt
walt5137

Unread postby askey127 » February 18th, 2011, 8:58 am