Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Infested through e-mail attachement

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Infested through e-mail attachement

Unread postby Helmut24 » January 13th, 2011, 2:57 am

Hello,
My machine got infested today through an e-mail attachment that I should NOT have opened.
Now there are the common problems: Google very slow opening sites; downloads very slow, weird re-directs; etc.
I am running XP Pro, Firefox.
The latest HJT file is attached.
Would really appreciate if somebody can help sort out this mess.
Thanks in advance,
Helmut

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 22:30:49, on 1/12/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\ThreatFire\TFTray.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcsacore.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe
C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\ThreatFire\TFService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\HJT\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ask.com/?gcht=HC&o=14409&l=dis
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Softonic-Eng7 - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcieplg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ThreatFire] C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\ThreatFire\TFTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\AMD\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSSE] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RivaTunerStartupDaemon] "C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\RivaTuner\RivaTuner v2.24 MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 edition\RivaTuner.exe" /S
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_89D8574934B26AC4.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupda ... 7525130953
O16 - DPF: {D4B68B83-8710-488B-A692-D74B50BA558E} - http://ccfiles.creative.com/Web/softwar ... PIDPDE.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} - http://ccfiles.creative.com/Web/softwar ... /CTPID.cab
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcieplg.dll
O23 - Service: Creative Audio Service (CTAudSvcService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CTAudSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\siteadvisor\mcsacore.exe
O23 - Service: ThreatFire - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\UTILITIES\ThreatFire\TFService.exe

--
End of file - 4666 bytes
Helmut24

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Infested through e-mail attachement

Unread postby Airscape » January 14th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
My name is Airscape and I'll be helping you with your malware issues.
The logs can take a while to research. Please be patient with me.

Take note of the following before we begin.
  • Post to this thread only and please stick to it until I say your pc is clean.
  • The instructions I give are for This computer only and should not be used on any other pc.
  • Do NOT run any tools/scans unless I instruct you to.
  • Try not to install/uninstall any programs while we work. This will add extra time researching your logs.
  • If you have found assistance elsewhere and no longer require our help, please say so, and this topic will be closed.
  • If you have any problems, please stop and ask before proceeding with any fixes.
  • ALL USERS OF THIS FORUM MUST READ THIS FIRST

Note: As I'm still in training, everything I post must be checked by a teacher first. So there may be a slight delay in between posts.

Important:
Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

In light of this it would be wise for you to back up any important files and folders that you don't want to lose before we start.
Airscape

Unread postby Helmut24 » January 14th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Great,
Thanks Airscape,
What do you want me to do?
H.
Helmut24

Unread postby Airscape » January 14th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Hello,

Just back up any important files, documents, etc that you don't want to lose to a cd/dvd if possible.

Be back with further instructions.

Thanks.
Airscape

Unread postby Airscape » January 15th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Do you know anything about these restrictions, did you set them? (don't fix yet)
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

Quite a few steps listed, just take your time.

RemoveThreatFire

Please download this Zip file then extract ( Unzip ) it to your Desktop.

• Double click on RemoveThreatFire.exe.
  • Follow the prompts.
  • Restart the computer if asked.
  • Then delete RemoveThreatFire.exe and the zip file from your desktop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- Fix HijackThis lines
Run HijackThis and click on scan
Place a tick next to the following lines (if still present)

Please Note: Only check those items listed below!

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ask.com/?gcht=HC&o=14409&l=dis
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Softonic-Eng7 - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {414b6d9d-4a95-4e8d-b5b1-149dd2d93bb3} - (no file)

Close all open windows except Hijackthis and click Fix Checked
Click Yes when prompted
Close HJT and Reboot (Restart) the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

2 - Random's System Information Tool (RSIT)
  • Please download RSIT by random/random from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two text files will open.
  • Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)

Note: both logs can be found in the C:\rsit folder if you lose them.

---------------------------------------------------

3 - GMER Rootkit Scanner
Please download GMER Rootkit Scanner from Here to your desktop.
  • Double click the .exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (Leave C:\ Checked)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
    See image below
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

Note: Do not run any programs while Gmer is running.

If GMER has problem running (blue screens, crashes) let me know, do not run it again.

-----------------------------------------------

Please post in next reply:
  • Both RSIT logs
  • GMER log
  • Answers to questions
  • And let me know if the pc is used for business?
Airscape

Unread postby Helmut24 » January 16th, 2011, 12:10 am

Hi,
Thanks for your help, Airscape. Unfortunately I was called away yesterday from my computer for what looks like a lengthy period out of the country.
I hope that when I return I can continue working with you folks at the MRU to fix this problem.

H.
Helmut24

Unread postby Cypher » January 16th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Due to an apparent lack of time required to complete the cleaning process, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread at a later date in the Malware Removal forum, include a
fresh HijackThis log and uninstall list, and wait for a new helper.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!