The virus also tries to stop my spyware/virus protection from working.
I have tried uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling but this has no effect. I also tried Firefox and Chrome but they all have the same issue. I have listed my attempts for removal below.
Spybot wouldn’t open so I went to the hide protected file and opened it from the randomly named file of the same size as the spybot.exe file. I updated it and ran a scan which was clean.
AVG free also found nothing.
Malware bytes also wouldn’t run so I had to rename the .exe file but it also found nothing.
I installed ad aware and that did find and remove a couple of things but has had little or no effect on the original problem.
I then tried ComboFix. I realise this was a risk but I’m getting desperate now. That found and removed a few things but again had no effect, so I uninstalled it.
(I can reply with any of the log files on request)
I am now on the verge of wiping my system clean and starting from scratch.
This forum is my last port of call before I do this.