I successfully ran the Kaspersky scan and it showed no threats - The report file is blank! Is this good news?
Excellent news, unless you are aware of any further symptoms then the computer appears to be clean.Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure
You should Download and Install the newest version of Adobe Reader
for reading pdf files, due to the vulnerabilities in earlier versions.
All versions numbered lower than 9.3 are vulnerable.
Clean up with OTL
- Go HERE, UNCHECK any Free Add-Ons, and click Download to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- After it completes the Installation, close the Download Manager.
Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
- Double-click OTL.exe to start the program. This will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.
- Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
- On the OTL main screen, press the CleanUp! button
- Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
Security Updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
- Press Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >>System Tools >> System Restore
- Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close
- Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
- Next click Start >> Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
- Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
- Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
- Press OK and Yes to confirm
Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch so that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC. Keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC. Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start
> right-click on My Computer
> Automatic Updates
tab or visit the Microsoft Update site
on a regular basis.Install SpywareBlaster
- SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and MalwareUpdate all these programs regularly
- Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT
be protected when new malicious programs are released.Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety
Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First PlaceHappy surfing and stay clean!