Infected objects found: 23
Those detections are all in the Symantech Quarantine folder and so are safe.
All scans are clean and so my recommendation is to remove Symantech and replace with one of the free antivirus programs.
Here are some more suggestions to help keep the computer clean.
You should Download and Install the newest version of Adobe Reader
for reading pdf files, due to the vulnerabilities in earlier versions.
All versions numbered lower than 9.3 are vulnerable.
Update Java Runtime
- Go HERE, UNCHECK any Free Add-Ons, and click Download to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- After it completes the Installation, close the Download Manager.
You are using an old version of Java. Sun's Java is sometimes updated in order to eliminate the exploitation of vulnerabilities in an existing version. For this reason, it's extremely important that you keep the program up to date, & also remove the older more vulnerable versions from your system. The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment Version 6 Update 21
Clean up with OTL
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Here
- Scroll down to where it says "JDK 6 Update 21 (JDK or JRE)"
- Click the orange Download JRE button to the right
- Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu
- Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 with JavaFX License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation & save the file to your desktop
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs & remove all older versions of Java
- Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java(TM) 6) in the name
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version
Update your AntiVirus Software and keep your other programs up-to-date
- Double-click OTL.exe to start the program. This will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.
- Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
- On the OTL main screen, press the CleanUp! button
- Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.Secunia Software InspectorF-secure Health CheckIMPORTANT – you Urgently need to update Internet Exporer to version 8Security Updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch so that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC. Keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC. Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start
> right-click on My Computer
> Automatic Updates
tab or visit the Microsoft Update site
on a regular basis.Install SpywareBlaster
- SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and MalwareUpdate all these programs regularly
- Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT
be protected when new malicious programs are released.Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety
Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First PlaceHappy surfing and stay clean!