Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Slow Performance in Win XP

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Slow Performance in Win XP

Unread postby askey127 » August 18th, 2010, 10:50 am

shellshock:
I would delete the following from your desktop:
CKScanner, RSIT, Gmer, RootRepeal
You can use the Temp File Cleaner (TFC.exe) occasionally, to clear out leftover junk files.
I would keep Winpatrol and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Reset System Restore Points
  • Click Start > Help and Support
  • Click on ->Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.
  • Click Create A Restore Point then click Next. Give it a name and then click Create, then Close.
  • Close Help and Support Center.
  • Click Start | Run and type Cleanmgr
  • Select (C: ) then click OK.
  • Click the More Options tab.
  • Click Clean Up in the System Restore Section.
This will remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
This System Restore sequence is not to be done regularly, but only as a Special Case after the removal of malware.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I would defragment the C: drive when you have time.
Start > ALL Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
Select the C: drfrive and Choose Defragment
This can take quite a while.
Good idea to do it at bedtime or other when you can leave it running and let it finish.

You should be good to go as far as malware is concerned.
askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby shellshock » August 20th, 2010, 7:59 am

I have Reset the system restore points and done a full defragment of my C Drive.
When I Try to update either Malware and AVAST I am still unable to. In the case of Malware I get an error message. What do you sugest?
Would I be right in thinking that Winpetrol is a replacement for COMODO as my Firewall.
The system is still very slow on booting up and shuting down.
I have noticed upon starting up I now get the following message briefly diplayed
Please select the operating system to start
Microsoft System Recovery Console or
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Would it be an idea to use the recovery console to fix the damge that has been done to my machine by the malware?

Cheers

Shellshock
shellshock

Unread postby askey127 » August 20th, 2010, 11:07 am

shellshock,
Do not choose Recovery Console when the machine is booting up.
It is for use by a technician or online helper only, and then onbly for emergency.

If you have a wireless router in the house, you probably do not need a separate firewall.
Winpatrol is protective but is NOT a firewall.
You can make sure the Windows firewall is turned on by going to Start > Control Panel, Security Center
In any case you don't need or want Comodo, since it adds an additional antivirus.
If you don't have a router (a multi-computer box) in the house, you can get a free firewall here:
http://free.agnitum.com/

I would Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and download a new copy to Install from here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

If you have the free version of Avast!, I would Uninstall it, then immediately download and new one from here and re-install it
http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

Let me know if you need help with this.
askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby shellshock » August 21st, 2010, 11:12 am

Hi there
I have uninstalled both Malewarebytes Anti Maleware and Avast and reinstalled them using the links you provided.I notcie that the AVAST logo is orange not blue as in the old version I was using. Also my computer is now operating at its normal speed which is great.A few questions for you before we wrap this up.
1) Had the Malware attacked both Avast and Malware so that they could not update as if they were able to the malware would have been detected , and as part of this attack it caused the AVAST the run in a way which would slow my system down.
2) I have anouther computer on my network which is currently using AVAST COMODO and Malware anti malware it is connected to the internet via a router . So would it be an idea to do the same to this computer as well.ie no COMODO instead MS XP Pro firewall AVAST and Malware software.
3) Regarded firewalls is the firewall as supplied with MS XP home any good or would I be better off using the free firewall you sugested in your last post
shellshock

Unread postby askey127 » August 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm

shellshock,
1. Some infections attack and alter the executables for anti-spyware and antivirus programs so as to make them unusable.

2. Comodo is now part of the problem instead of part of the solution. The extra antivirus "protection" won't work with other AV applications. It also install the adware ASK toolbar withoput asking. I would uninstall it on your other computer, and not replace it, except to activate the Windows Firewall when Comodo is gone.

3. If your computers are behind a home router, the third party firewalls may not be necessary. Although there is active discussion about this, I think you should be OK without them. The only situation that would strongly suggest a third party firewall would be a in a laptop used for traveling, where it was used with multiple wireless sites, hotels, coffee shops, etc. In that case, something like the Outpost Agnitum 2009 firewall would be warranted.

All your machines should have exactly one antivirus application, and one anti-spyware application, and one third party firewall if used as a mobile computer.

One more thing, for all your Windows XP computers:
----------------------------------------------
Download the hpHosts file installer from here: http://support.it-mate.co.uk/downloads/ ... -Win32.exe
Save it to your desktop.
  • For XP, double click the Installer to run it. For Vista or Win7, right click the installer and choose "Run as administrator".
  • Click the button to Accept the agreement
  • Click Next
  • Click Install
  • When the screen labeled Completing the hp HOSTS Setup Wizard appears, be SURE to check the box labeled "Disable the DNS Client (Recommended)".
    (If you don't check that box, the next boot up may take a very long time, and the internet will be slow.)
  • Click Finish.
Now you can delete the installer from your desktop.

askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby shellshock » August 22nd, 2010, 4:19 am

Askey127
I have installed hphosts as you have suggested.
To recap my machine should just have the following
AVAST
Winpetrol
Malware Anti Maleware
HpHosts
And if I wish Annitum firewall instead of the XP fiewall
Question is the Annitum firewall better than the XP firewall
With the above set up I should be reasonably protected from infections

Shellshock
shellshock

Unread postby askey127 » August 22nd, 2010, 9:11 am

The Agnitum Firewall provides more protection against some application "phoning home", but it also requires you to answer more initialization questions.
In either case, you should have quite good protection against most things except, of course, clicking on the wrong things with your mouse.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby shellshock » August 22nd, 2010, 10:21 am

Cheers for your help It think it is safe to say that the problem is sorted.
Cheers
Shellshock
shellshock

Unread postby askey127 » August 22nd, 2010, 11:38 am