Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Need Help Bad

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Need Help Bad

Unread postby alk » March 17th, 2010, 5:30 am

Hi, I just go this laptop with windows xp home sp1. when i turned the computer on, i would start getting this pop up about xp defender pro finding a bunch on viruses and trojans. It would not let me get on the internet at all always popping to register xp defender pro.i installed spy doctor and malwarybytes anti-malware and was able to delete the xp defender pro and that annoying pop up. Now the laptop starts up and i can get in the internet but i cannot do windows update. everytime i click on windows update i get the error "page cannot be displayed". I can't install any antivirus or internet security because it keeps telling me that since i have windows home sp1 that the programs are not compatible. It won't let me update the Sp2 or sp3. Also everytime i open IE, it keeps getting redirected and its always to a site wanting me to buy a product. I really need help here. Anything is greatly appreciated. I ran hijackthis and this is the report i got:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:35:38 PM, on 3/17/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-G Notebook Adapter\Gcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-G Notebook Adapter\OdHost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CBTWlanSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\HPWirelessMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iWin Games\iWinTrusted.exe
c:\program files\linksys\wpc54gv3\wpc54gv3.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.hp.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://rd.yahoo.com/customize/sbcydsl/d ... ch/ie.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://rd.yahoo.com/customize/sbcydsl/d ... .yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.hp.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.5.4723.1820\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless-G Notebook Adapter.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-G Notebook Adapter\Gcc.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_96D6FF0C6D236BF8.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_09\bin\npjpi142_09.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_09\bin\npjpi142_09.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microso ... 8849111505
O23 - Service: CBT Wlan Service (CBTWlanSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\CBTWlanSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Configuration Interface Service (HPConfig) - Hewlett-Packard - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
O23 - Service: HPWirelessMgr - Hewlett-Packard Co. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\HPWirelessMgr.exe
O23 - Service: iWinTrusted - iWin Inc. - C:\Program Files\iWin Games\iWinTrusted.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: Broadcom Wireless LAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 4725 bytes
alk

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Need Help Bad

Unread postby NonSuch » March 17th, 2010, 4:44 pm

As you just got this computer, and its operating system is XP SP1, I would have to presume two things...

1. This is a used computer.
  2. You haven't put much personal data on it at this point.

It is a waste of time, both yours and ours, to attempt to clean up this computer. Malware already has a good toehold established due to the lack of updates and antivirus, and may even have been resident prior to you receiving the computer, and now your ability to update is gone and certain needed tools can neither be installed nor run.

My advice to you is to reformat. Hopefully, you were "on your toes" when you acquired this computer and made certain that you also received the disks for reinstalling the operating system and for installing drivers. If not, you should contact the computer manufacturer and obtain the proper software from them. Usually that can be done for a very reasonable cost.

If the computer has a restore partition, you may be able to just use that to restore the computer to it's original "from the factory" state, which likely will be XP SP1. That means you will need to get SP2 installed as quickly as possible, and then SP3. Do not try to go directly to SP3 from SP1.

If you will be reinstalling XP SP1, then my advice to you is to first go to a known clean computer and download and burn to CD SP2 then SP3. You should also download an antivirus and have it ready to install on your computer once you have reinstalled the operating system and service packs. You will need to update your browser to at least IE7, preferably IE8.

If you wish to use a free antivirus, I would recommend one of the following:

avast!
AntiVir
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

Do not make the mistake of surfing the web, even to get your e-mail, until you have installed all available updates and an antivirus. If you make such a mistake, your system will be immediately reinfected and you will need to start over from scratch.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need Help Bad

Unread postby NonSuch » March 19th, 2010, 11:35 pm

As the resolution of this issue requires a reformat, and there have been no questions posted regarding that process, this topic is now closed.

You can help support this site from this link:
Donations For Malware Removal
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!