The only drawback would be the possibility of out of date software being installed which would require updating.Are there any issues with reinstalling programs from setup files on the computer?
In my humble opinion the operating system is compromised unfortunately so what I have advised in my prior post is the prudent course of action.Asked another way, are the problems all in the OS files in my current setup?
They should be fine as long as a precaution scan what ever backups created with both a updated Anti-Virus and Ant-Malware application prior to installing them back on the machine that has been formatted.Any issues with saving data files? If the non-executables scan clean is that sufficient?
Below is some advice about what to install/safety advice after the format and the reinstallation of the Windows operating system.
Reformat and Reinstallation Advice:
This is a excellent resource I recommend reading:-
How to prevent Malware
- Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
Here are some free Anti Virus programs which I recommend to use:
- Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
- Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
Here are some free Firewalls which I recommend to use:
(Use only one, and disable your Windows Firewall)
- I advise you visit: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
- Install the Active X
- Once installed it will advise set Auto-Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
- Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
The tutorial on how to use MBAM is located here
You can find information about how WinPatrol works here
Download it from here
The tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster is located here
Importance of Regular System Maintenance:
I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well after the format and the reinstallation of the Windows operating system.
Help! My computer is slow!
Also so is this:
What to do if your Computer is running slowly
Follow the above and the potential for your computer becoming infected again will reduce dramatically. Any questions feel free to ask OK!