No problem. It's always better to have things checked out and be sure there are no infections.
I noticed the version of Adobe reader is out of date... we'll need to update that and I'd like you to perform an online scan of your system.
Please read these instructions carefully before executing and perform the steps, in the order given.
lf, you have any questions about or problems with, executing these instructions, <STOP> do not proceed, post back with the question or problem.
Update Adobe Reader
Your version of Adobe Reader is out-of-date. There are serious security issues with older versions of Adobe Reader.
I'm not asking you to update any Adobe Acrobat installation... this can be quite costly. I am going to insist that you update your Adobe Reader software.
Then use the Reader for viewing PDF files... you can use the Acrobat software for your other needs.
Please download the current version of Adobe Reader...Copyright © Adobe Systems Inc.
- Click the yellow "Download now"... button. If you don't already have Adobe DLM... you may recieve a prompt...
- If prompted to install "Adobe DLM" This software is not a requirement to obtain the latest Adobe Reader software...so the choice is yours.
The Adobe (DLM) Download Manager... allows you to "pick up where you left off", if your download process is interrupted. A good idea if you are using dial-up.
If you choose to install Adobe DLM, it will start the download automatically. Adobe DLM software removal instructions available here...if wanted.
- If not using Adobe DLM...click on the highlighted "click here to download" text, to begin the Reader download.
Save the file to your desktop.
- Uninstall OLD Adobe Reader
- Please uninstall Adobe Reader before installing the latest version... Go to Start > Control Panel
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs... Locate:
Adobe Reader...version to remove
- Click on Change/Remove to uninstall it. Once uninstalled... Close and exit Control Panel.
- Click on the Adobe Acrobat Reader (AdbeRdrxx_en_US.exe) icon, on your desktop... to install the new (free) version.
The Adobe Reader download file name will be different, depending on the language or OS chosen. xx in the name = version numbers.
- The Adobe installer will check your system and begin the installation process. Use the default installation parameters.
- When the installation is complete... Close and re-open your Internet browser.
An alternate to the Adobe Reader, you could try the free (for personal use) Foxit PDF Reader. The download file is smaller and when installed,
uses less resources than Adobe Reader. Note: Do not install anything dealing with AskBar... presented as an installation option.
Disable AVG 8.5 Real-time Protection (Temporarily)
Please open the AVG 8.5 Control Center, by right clicking on the AVG icon on task bar.
- Click on Open AVG Interface.
- Double click on Resident Shield
- Deselect the option to "Enable Resident Shield."
- Save changes, and exit the application.
- To re-enable AVG 8.5, please select "Enable Resident Shield" again.
ESET NOD32 Online Scan
Note: You - will - need to use Internet Explorer for this scan!
Please go to ESET Online Scanner - © ESET All Rights Reserved... to run an online scan.
** Make sure you are using an account that has Administrative privileges **
- Press the "ESET Online Scanner" button.
- Click "Start"... a window will open... it may appear nothing is happening... please be patient.
- Click Yes... at the run ActiveX prompt. Click Install... at the install ActiveX prompt.
Once installed, the scanner will be initialized.
- Click "Start". Make sure that the options:
- Remove found threats is UNCHECKED
- Leave the "default" settings under Advanced as they are, if not set , please check:
- Scan for potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
- Click "Start"... ESET scanner will begin to download the virus signatures database.
When the signatures have been downloaded, the scan will start automatically.
- Wait for the scan to finish... it may take a while... please be patient. When the scan is finished...
- Use Notepad to open the log file located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
- Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
Please include in your next reply:
- Any problem executing the instructions?
- Adobe Reader updated?
- ESET scan results
- How is the computer behaving?