Hi Tim, Glad the computer is running fine and good luck with the tech sites, I hope the defrag
gets sorted for you. I wish I had been able to help with that.
Even though I am done after this post, the topic
will remain open for a few days, so if you have any problems please post.
I would suggest you proceed as follows to provide extra protection for future safe internet use.Make your Internet Explorer more secure
- This can be done by following these simple instructions:
Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system. If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.Secunia Software InspectorF-secure Health CheckInstall SpyWare Blaster 4.0
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster here Install WinPatrol
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works hereInstall MVPS Hosts File from here
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
Find Tutorial here : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htmRead some information here how to prevent Malware. Please reply in three days and let me know if you have any problems or questions.
Happy Safe Surfing