Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

I have something wrong DNS Advantage -search

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: I have something wrong DNS Advantage -search

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 29th, 2009, 2:12 pm

For purposes of internet access after deletion of IE, would Firefox be the same as Ubuntu? I have saved Ubuntu to desktop and am going to write it to a CD. I have also DLed Firefox and have it running. I have not done anything yet. thanx
jeffs55

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Odd dude » March 29th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Firefox is just an alternative web browser.

Ubuntu is a whole different operating system.

If you have burned Ubuntu to a CD let me know, then it'll be easier for me to find out whether the problem is truly a DNS thing only or whether there also is malware involved.

Let me know when you've finished the six step plan I posted.

Take care. ;)
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 29th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I am going to the store to buy a DVD, the Cds I have on hand are not big enough to put Ubuntu on. thanx
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » March 29th, 2009, 2:32 pm

It fits on a 700 MB CD.

Be sure to burn it as an ISO image, that is, open the file with your cd burner program and then burn it. Do not burn it as a regular file.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 29th, 2009, 5:43 pm

It would not burn onto my 700 MB CD, it was 2.18 MB too large. I am away from my computer right now and will try to burn it to DVD on 3-30-09.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » March 30th, 2009, 1:06 am

Before you try that, what program are you using to burn the CD?

If it's Nero or something similar, choose "Burn Image" or just use the program to open the image.

If you're using the built-in Windows program, you need this plug-in: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 30th, 2009, 7:39 am

OK, I am using the built in windows program. I just copied and pasted Ubuntu onto a DVD, will that work? I am going to try now to get the nerve up to follow your instructions. Do I need that link you sent to make Ubuntu work? I have not ran the Ubuntu program as I do not want conflicting programs. Ubuntu is a fail safe program right? In other words it is " just in case all else fails" to enable me to go online if IE will not work. I read that I have to set up Ubuntu. I hope that is fairly intuitive. :?: thanx
jeffs55

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 30th, 2009, 7:44 am

I just tried to open the Ubuntu.iso file. Windows will not/cannot open it.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » March 30th, 2009, 7:48 am

jeffs55 wrote:OK, I am using the built in windows program. I just copied and pasted Ubuntu onto a DVD, will that work? I am going to try now to get the nerve up to follow your instructions. Do I need that link you sent to make Ubuntu work? I have not ran the Ubuntu program as I do not want conflicting programs. Ubuntu is a fail safe program right? In other words it is " just in case all else fails" to enable me to go online if IE will not work. I read that I have to set up Ubuntu. I hope that is fairly intuitive. :?: thanx

OK, I'll try to clarify as much as I can:

1. Copying and pasting onto the disc will NOT work. The file is an image of an entire CD. Yes, you will need the plug-in program to be able to burn it.

2. Ubuntu is not a program. It's an operating system, like Windows. The plus side of it is that it can run from the CD itself, instead of from the hard disk.

3. Yes, this is for "if all else fails". Ubuntu will enable you to access the internet and download reparation utilities if your IE fails to properly work after being uninstalled. It should not... but better safe than sorry.

4. You will not have to install Ubuntu, thus you will not have to set up anything.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 30th, 2009, 8:49 am

I am unable to do anything with the Ubuntu download or the plug in. The Ubuntu file will not write to a DVD. It stalls at 15% write and advises me to put media into a drive. The media is there, and is in fact in both my DVD writer drives. I am afraid that I do not know what is required of me to write this file. I have the ISO recorder v3 on desktop along with Ubuntu. I need beginner instructions to write to a DVD.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » March 30th, 2009, 9:30 am

I appreciate that this must be very difficult/frustrating and I really do apologize for all the inconvenience I'm causing you.

My PC's cd drive is currently defunct, but I have nonetheless tried to include screenshots to aid you.

The pictures can be clicked to be enlarged and I really apologize for the mess showing around the Windows XP environment..... I solely use Linux when working with Virtual Machines.

1) Insert a blank CD in your preferred recording device.

2) Right click the Ubuntu iso file and choose Copy image to CD.
Click image to see full size version
(sorry for the mess, ignore the name of the iso file... didn't have an Ubuntu ready)

3) Select the recorder you wish to use and click Next.
(again, sorry for the mess. At this point the screenshots stop, for, as I already mentioned, I have no working CD drive at present)

4) It should now start copying the image to the disc.

Does that work OK?

An alternative means is to copy the image to an USB flash drive and boot the computer using that, however this is a very involved process and it involves poking around in the system's BIOS which I honestly don't recommend anyone but a person absolutely sure of what they're doing doing.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 30th, 2009, 10:12 am

That does not work and is the reason I told you that I could not do this. I have tried it repeatedly as I thought that is what I should do. I followed your procedure and this is what I get:
right click Ubuntu which is on desktop
choose copy image to CD/DVD
I get a dialog box which says that the source is an image file and the destination is a non blank non writable Cd/DVD
I just bought the Sony DVD/R discs
it is a new disk
there is no option to erase as shown in Feinmans tutorial
I cannot proceed as "next" is grayed out
You are NOT causing me any inconvenience. Thank you for sticking with me on this. There must be som little thing that I am missing. See attachment:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » March 30th, 2009, 10:17 am

Under Recorder it says:
"F: Non-Blank Non-Writeable Non-Usable"
which means it already contains data (most likely from a previous failed attempt to write). Unfortunately, in the case of CD/DVD-R discs, you can only write to them once and if that does not work correctly the disc is no longer useable.

Can you try again with a new disc (maybe try a CD if you have one and DVD didn't work)?
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 30th, 2009, 10:58 am

I have tried three brand new DVDs and now one brand new CD, just out of the pack with the same results.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » March 30th, 2009, 11:09 am

Then there must be something wrong with the recording device or the recording software :( :(

Do you have a USB-device with a capacity of 1 GB or more and do you have any experience with modifying the system's BIOS settings? We may give that a try.

As a last resort - SHOULD anything go wrong - do you have access to a second PC with internet access? If so, we can just download any tools which will be needed to fix things from that PC.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext