I have Norton Antivirus that was able to quarantine these spyware but from what I understand Norton does not always catch these malwares/spywares. I have delete most of it I believe but I think Norton may have missed a couple.
Correct, antiviruses don't always catch everything. That's why we are here.
Recently, when I start up my Windows XP, an error shows up - "error loading C:\windows\system32\pgkxhoob.dll". "The specified module could not be found."
We will be able to fix that.
I ran a hjackthis log below. Please help. Please let me know if I can provide additional information.
Thank you in advance!
Please download HostsXpert
from Funkytoad and save it to your desktop.
Fix HijackThis lines
- Right click on HostsXpert.zip and select Extract All....
- Click Next on seeing the Welcome to the Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard.
- Click on the Browse button. Click on Desktop. Then click OK.
- Once done, check (tick) the Show extracted files box and click Finish.
- Once extracted, HostsXpert folder will open.
- Double click on HostsXpert.exe to start it.
- On your left hand side, click on Restore MS Hosts File (see screenshot below, boxed up in red).
- Exit HostsXpert.
Close all open windows
- Run HijackThis!
- Click on Do a System Scan only
- Place a tick next to the following lines:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [b4607690] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgkxhoob.dll",b
and click on Fix checked
and when you get a popup window click on Yes
.Fix registry entriesWarning.
Please note that this fix is specific for this poster and should not be used by anyone else:1.
Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
- Please download ERUNT from here.
- Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.
Note: If you ever need to restore your registry in case something breaks, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe2.
Please do this:
- Copy the contents of the Code Box below to Notepad.
- Name the file as fix.reg
- Change the Save as Type to All Files
- and Save it on the desktop
- Code: Select all
Make sure there are NO
blank lines before REGEDIT4
on the fix.reg
file, and when it prompts to merge
.Please Download and Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
to your desktop.
- Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply.
- If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
In your next reply, please include:
- MBAM log
- A new HijackThis log