Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Combofix.exe=trojan? / my laptop hijacked?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Combofix.exe=trojan? / my laptop hijacked?

Unread postby beanland » February 28th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Two questions:

1. My anti-virus Trend Micro popped up a message "Combofix.exe" has the TROJ_GENERIC.DIT virus and quarrantined it. I never used it while i was in contact w/you guys while fixing my laptop (btw... thanks for fixing it). I just downloaded a bunch of files off of your website in case I needed to use them while I was in an offline location (I used my iPhone to see what to do). I deleted combofix.exe..... but, does that have a virus in it?

2. Last night while I was turning off my laptop, it popped up a message "Are you sure you want to turn it off while the users are connected to your computer". I've never had this message come up before. My security settings were up and running(Trend Micro anti-virus enabled, Windows Firewall ON). I also have AT&T dsl modem with Netgear router and dynamic IP.

Could some hacker have been connected to my laptop? If so, then how do I protect myself against this?

Thanks in advance!
beanland

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Combofix.exe=trojan? / my laptop hijacked?

Unread postby NonSuch » March 1st, 2009, 5:34 am

Hello. :)

ComboFix would not have a trojan in it, nor any other form of malware. Sometimes, its components that identify malware are mistaken for the malware it identifies and removes. If you were instructed to use ComboFix, you should also have been instructed to remove ComboFix when finished with the cleaning by going to > Start > Run > and typing in combofix /u then pressing enter. If you were instructed to remove it and did not, you should be aware that this is a very powerful and therefore potentially dangerous tool and was never intended to be utilized by individuals who are not under the direct supervision of a malware removal expert. To do so is extremely risky and goes against the express wishes of the tool's developer.

Hopefully, your Netgear router is not using the default password that is configured by the manufacturer. If it is, then do change it. Also, as you are using a laptop, you may be utilizing a wireless router. Do make certain you are not using WEP encryption as it's very insecure. You should be using WPA or WPA2. If your router has a firewall, make sure it is enabled.

Here is a link to Netgear's support page:

http://www.netgear.com/Support.aspx

If your system shows symptoms of reinfection, then please start a new topic and provide a HijackThis log.