Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

received an email ad from myself

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

received an email ad from myself

Unread postby rjpeters » January 14th, 2009, 9:13 pm

I thought it worth asking and maybe you don’t know, but maybe you do.

I got an email from myself In this email was an advert for prescription drugs and at the bottom was the traditional unsubscribe me link. When I clicked it, it took me to their website and low and behold there was no place to unsubscribe; just lots more pills for sale. The phone number at the bottom was a +1 210 so I imagine it’s somewhere outside this country.

And naturally I can’t blacklist myself.

What kind of hijacking is this? PHP or something else? Do you know how to trick the recipient into getting his own email and is there a way to find out who really sent it? How can I protect myself from this hijacking?

I ask because the last time this happened I wound up getting globally blacklisted and it took me a long time to un-list myself.

If you don’t know, maybe you know where I would look to find this info.

Thanks very much in advance.

RJ
rjpeters

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: received an email ad from myself

Unread postby NonSuch » January 17th, 2009, 2:22 am

That is a trick that spammers are known to use. I can't explain the exact mechanics they use to make an e-mail appear like it's coming from the recipient, but they do manage to do it. However, you should never respond to a spam e-mail. At best, you have informed the spammer that they reached a good live e-mail address, and now they will only send out more spam; at worst, you may end up with an infected system. It is never effective to attempt to opt out as again, it only tells the spammer that he's reached a live address. It's best to ignore these e-mails and delete them. There are also methods of setting up e-mail filters in whatever e-mail program you use. (Google for methods of filtering out spam).

It is possible that you may have exposed your system to malware infestations by accessing the spammers site. If you are concerned that your computer may have been infected, then please follow the guideline at the link below to start a new topic and post your HijackThis log, then wait for a helper to assist you.