Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Harware failure or spyware activation?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Harware failure or spyware activation?

Unread postby BiperX » October 4th, 2008, 8:56 am

Hi John

Yes I did set up the router to send me a daily log to my email address but for some reason I can't get it - as you noticed there is an error which router sends and I can't work out which setting I should change; I have imprssion that it was working OK some time ago with same email account but now I get the error.

Regarding the router firmware - I started this topic saying I have this problem for quite long time and actually I can recall something like upgrading the original firmware to the latest version from the web - and it was quite while ago as well, so you might be right here.

Currently I am using V3.01.38 version of firmware and the router model is DG834G v2.
I don't seem to have installed any particular software or hardware which would cause the trouble - in the laptop just added more memory as I thought it would increase the slow performance but unfortunately it was not the case. The PC was brand new when I connected it to the network but again even when I see better performance and quicker page downloads it is not perfect in terms of being free of download errors.
But it looks as this is something fishy with the router indeed, maybe need to be reset to original state?

Cheers

BiperX
BiperX

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby John B. » October 4th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Hi,

The reason why I was asking about the firmware version is that a lot of versions seem to drop your connection a lot:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 84448.html
Don't pay attention to the PPPoE thing, but look at for example at the following quotes:
what firmware, dun touch the 2.10.17 and 2.10.22 they are well.. plain sh**
get the 2.10.09 or 2.10.10 firmware, if u need a link for them whim me

Had no problems with any of the firmware but found the most stable and fastest firmware for me is the 2.10.10 version.

I am not using .17 or .22 firmware as I had frequent dropouts though I it was not really noticeable. I now use 2.10.10 and have connection uptimes of 200-300hrs between reconnections. With .17 or .22 firmware my connection was the full12mbit but with 2.10.10 it will only connect at a max of 9500.

yeah, it is all about 2.10.9 and 2.10.10 for the DG834Gv2

Steer clear of the .17 and .22 - better speed, but terrible connection stability.

on 2.10.17 and 22 I got 30 minute sessions.

on 2.10.10 i get between 3 and 10 days per session.

The downside of this resource is that it dates from 2005. That means they do not know of 3.x yet. You could try downgrading to an earlier version. Don't know which one you had before which worked fine.

About the logs to your e-mail:
It could be you set the SMTP wrong. (remember they are not using the same ISP as you, so you can't just copy their SMTP)
Or your e-mail address

You can also go here:
http://www.netgear.com/Community/CommunityForum.aspx
This would be the right subforum to post (you have to register):
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
They seem very specialized.

Please let me know what you decide to do.

Greets, John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby BiperX » October 5th, 2008, 6:56 am

Hi John

Many thanks for the info. Now I think I am getting somewhere - just need to be more curious and try to find something related to the issue on netgear website but as long as I know it's not a spyware problem, it's great. I have looked at their support page and indeed there is a lot of useful treads so I should be OK in finding the right one.
In the meantime I downgraded the router to the previous version of firmware 2.10.22 (they don't seem to have 2.10.20 available), but as far as I can see it didn't improve displaying some of the websites like ebay or hotmail so I guess I might play with port forwarding and firewall rules.
I am going to try some of the advices from the netgear also playing with TCPIP doctor software.

Thank you for your help - I will let you know if I am getting there :)

Regards

BiperX
BiperX

Unread postby John B. » October 5th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Hi,

In the meantime I downgraded the router to the previous version of firmware 2.10.22 (they don't seem to have 2.10.20 available), but as far as I can see it didn't improve displaying some of the websites like ebay or hotmail so I guess I might play with port forwarding and firewall rules.

Like mentioned in the quotes I gave earlier, 2.10.22 and 2.10.17 are really rubbish with their stability. At that time 2.10.9 and 2.10.10 were most stable.

The 2.10.10 firmware is in this zip file:
http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netge ... ar-All.zip
You may want to try downgrading to that.

I am going to try some of the advices from the netgear also playing with TCPIP doctor software.

Remember that it is best to register and post about your specific problem as every computer and problem is unique. The forum seems to be pretty active and you will get best and probably fastest results by posting about your own problem and waiting for a response (which seems to be pretty fast there).

Anyway, in case I forget to give you the All Clean, here it is:
Now that you are clean, I got some tips & tricks for you to keep your computer clean and secure. The first few (like Windows Update) have to be done, the others are optional (beginning with Spybot S &D).

It may seem like your system will be too much protected with all these things installed, but a lot of programs aren't running always on the background so don't slow down your computer. Please take a look at the following things:
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Tutorail for Spybot S & D

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. You can download it here:
    SpywareBlaster

• Install WinPatrol - As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You can download it from this website:
    WinPatrol
    The developer is a well-known man in the MalWare Removal business. If you really like WinPatrol think about upgrading to the PLUS version. It will give you additional features and you will only have to pay once, for your whole malware-free life.

• Install MVPS HOSTS - This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial here:
    WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

• Bookmark general cleanup link - It could be that your computer is becoming slower and slower. This is not always the cause of malware. Most of the times it's malware when you're computer is suddenly getting slow or doing strange. When the slowdown increases slowly, check (so now bookmark) this link for tips & tricks:
    What to do if your Computer's running slowly

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

>> Here << you can see how you can help us.

Some things I forgot to answer, by the way.

there was some improvement after you advised me to clear all the browser cache but do I need to do that each time I wan't to download something?

This is something that should be done regularly, for instance once every two weeks or once every month, but not every time you are going to download something.

Please enable the WINS Server and let me know if you still have the same problems.

I am sorry but I don't quite know how to do it. All internet settings are pretty much automatic, so I have no idea how I could do that.

I have been trying to open the manuals and guides of the DG834Gv2 on the Netgear website for days, but they don't seem to be loading at all. Maybe, if you have one, you could look at the manual you got with the router and try to find anything related to the WINS Server.

Please let me know how things are working.

Greets, John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » October 10th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Due to lack of activity, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous