We were almost finished but sometimes formatting is the best route to take. I would seriously consider buying a new hard drive, XP really needs to run with at least 15% free space on the drive/partition it's loaded onto to perform optimally. Anything less and there is serious potential for system errors and failures.
Below are some tips and programs to help future reinfection.Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints Malware Complaints, you need to be registered to post as unfortunately we were hit with too many spam posting to allow guest posting to continue just find your country room and register your complaint.
Below are some steps to follow in order to dramatically lower the chances of reinfection
You may have already implemented some of the steps below, however you should follow any steps that you have not already implemented
- Download and install an antivirus program, and make sure that you keep it updated
New viruses come out every minute, so it is essential that you have the latest signatures for your antivirus program to provide you with the best possible protection from malicious software
Two good antivirus programs free for non-commercial home use are Avast and Antivir
Two good paid for antivirus programs are NOD32 and Kaspersky
Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection level. It may also impair the performance of your PC.
- Make sure you install all the security updates for Windows, Internet explorer & Microsoft Office
Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch for it to that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC, so keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC
Go here to check for & install updates to Microsoft applications
Note: The update process uses activex, so you will need to use internet explorer for it, and allow the activex control that it wants to install
- Keep your non-Microsoft applications updated as well
Microsoft isn't the only company whose products can contain security vulnerabilities, to check for other vulnerable programs running on your PC that are in need of an update, you can use the Secunia Software Inspector - I suggest that you run it at least once a month
- Make Internet Explorer more secure
Click Start > Run
Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
Click on the Security tab
Click Reset all zones to default level
Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
- Install a Hosts File
I recommend MVPS Hosts File
Every version of windows includes a hosts file as part of them. A hosts file is a bit like a phone book, it points to the actual numeric address (i.e. the IP address) from the human friendly name of a website. This feature can be used to block malicious websites
On some PCs, having a custom HOSTS file installed can cause a significant slowdown. Following these instructions should resolve the issue
For a more detailed explanation of the HOSTS file, click here
- Click Start > Run
- Type services.msc & click OK
- In the list, find the service called DNS Client & double click on it.
- On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
- Click OK & then close the Services window
- Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program. If you want to help the developer of the program and get more information about what the programs that you see in Winpatrol please check out Winpatrol Plus. It does not need a new download.
- Install Malwarebytes & update and scan with it regularly
Malwarebytes is a free for personal use on demand scanner which is developed by active members of the Malware Removal community. It detects and removes many modern infections. The paid version offers realtime protection.
- The last and most important thing I can tell you is UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE.
If you don't update your security programs (Antivirus, Antispyware, even Windows) then you are at risk.
Malware changes on a day to day basis. You should update every week at the very least.
Miekiemoes an expert in malware removal has a fantastic article on how to prevent Malware for further tips, it's well worth a read. http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miek ... ntion.htmlPlease reply to this topic one more time so I know you have read through it or with any questions you may have.