Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Antivirus XP08

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Antivirus XP08

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 12th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Hi,
I removed the XP Antivrus entry, and left the Answerworks--I hadn't realised it was part of Turbotax.
Sure I'll hang around--let me know what you think.
I really appreciate all of your help so far.
Hiking_citdiner

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Scotty » July 13th, 2008, 5:23 am

Hi

Download and Run FixWarout
Please download FixWareout from one of these sites:
http://downloads.subratam.org/Fixwareout.exe
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lonny/Fixwareout.exe

Save it to your desktop and run it. Click Next, then Install, then make sure "Run fixit" is checked and click Finish. The fix will begin; follow the prompts. You will be asked to reboot your computer; please do so. Your system may take longer than usual to load; this is normal.

At the end of the fix, you may need to restart your computer again.

Finally, please post a fresh HijackThis log, along with the contents of the logfile C:\fixwareout\report.txt

Now lets check some settings on your system.
(2000/XP) Only
In the windows control panel. If you are using Windows XP's Category View, select the Network and Internet Connections category otherwise double click on Network Connections. Then right click on your default connection, usually local area connection for cable and dsl, and left click on properties. Click the Networking tab. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS servers automatically
Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen and reboot if it asks.
That option might not be avaiable on some systems
Next Go start run type cmd and hit OK
type
ipconfig /flushdns
then hit enter, type exit hit enter
(that space between g and / is needed)
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 13th, 2008, 9:54 am

Hi,
Herewith the logs. Then I will check the settings and report back.

Username "Ellis Crasnow" - 07/13/2008 6:44:27 [Fixwareout edited 9/01/2007]

~~~~~ Prerun check

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

System was rebooted successfully.

~~~~~ Postrun check
HKLM\SOFTWARE\~\Winlogon\ "system"=""
~~~~~ Misc files.
~~~~~ Checking for older varients.

~~~~~ Current runs (hklm hkcu "run" Keys Only)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run]
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"PDUiP6000DMon"="C:\\Program Files\\Canon\\Memory Card Utility\\PIXMA iP6000D\\PDUiP6000DMon.exe"
"PDUiP6000DTskbr"="C:\\Program Files\\Canon\\Memory Card Utility\\PIXMA iP6000D\\PDUiP6000DTskbr.exe"
"mmtask"="C:\\Program Files\\MUSICMATCH\\Musicmatch Jukebox\\mmtask.exe"
"AVG8_TRAY"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgtray.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Yahoo! Pager"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\MESSEN~1\\YAHOOM~1.EXE\" -quiet"
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
Hosts file was reset, If you use a custom hosts file please replace it...
~~~~~ End report ~~~~~

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 06:51:51, on 7/13/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\PIXMA iP6000D\PDUiP6000DMemCrdMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\PIXMA iP6000D\PDUiP6000DMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\PIXMA iP6000D\PDUiP6000DTskbr.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://finance.yahoo.com/?u
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/def ... earch.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://finance.yahoo.com/?u
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/def ... .yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDUiP6000DMon] C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\PIXMA iP6000D\PDUiP6000DMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDUiP6000DTskbr] C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\PIXMA iP6000D\PDUiP6000DTskbr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - https://scan.safety.live.com/resource/d ... se3401.cab
O16 - DPF: {6BEA1C48-1850-486C-8F58-C7354BA3165E} (Install Class) - http://updates.lifescapeinc.com/install ... nstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://sdlc-esd.sun.com/ESD42/JSCDL/jre ... 586-jc.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.c ... mplete.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Canon PIXMA iP6000D Memory Card Manager (PDUiP6000DMemCrdMgr) - CANON INC. - C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\PIXMA iP6000D\PDUiP6000DMemCrdMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - http://soiuser.hyperchat.com/misstreat/ ... treat1.jpg
O24 - Desktop Component 1: (no name) - http://f5c.yahoofs.com/personals/44f769 ... GB8YW0PEOL

--
End of file - 7487 bytes
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Scotty » July 13th, 2008, 9:59 am

Hi

Congratulations, you appear to be malware free.

Time for some housekeeping

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the x and the /u, it needs to be there.

OTCleanIt

Please download OTCleanIt and save it to desktop. This tool will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.
  • Double-click OTCleanIt.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTCleanIt attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

Delete the older versions of Java and download the newest.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components.
  1. Close any programmes you may have running, ESPECIALLY your web browser
  2. Click Start > Control Panel.
  3. Click Add/Remove Programs.
  4. Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  5. Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  6. Repeat as many times as necessary to remove all versions of Java.
  7. Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
Then download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (5th one down the list), which is JRE6u7, and click Yes at the page warning. Under "Platform" select Windows, then check the box to accept the Licence Agreement. Click Yes at the second page warning before downloading the Offline file.
To avoid using the Sun Download manager just click on the link below Windows Offline Installation which says jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good program to keep. If you wish to keep it, use it to do a quick scan once a week and keep it updated.
Remember, only the paid for version offers real-time protection

Here is another couple of free programs I recommend.

Winpatrol
Winpatrol is heuristic protection program, meaning it looks for patterns in codes that work like malware. It also takes a snapshot of your system's critical resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without you knowing. You can read more about Winpatrol's features here.

You can get a free copy of Winpatrol or use the Plus version for more features.

You can read Winpatrol's FAQ if you run into problems.

Spyware Blaster
SpywareBlaster is a program that is used to secure Internet Explorer by making it harder for ActiveX programs to run on your computer. It does this by disabling known offending ActiveX programs from running at all.

You can download SpywareBlaster from Javacool.

If you need help in using SpywareBlaster, you can read SpywareBlaster's tutorial at Bleeping Computer.

Hosts File
A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your PC will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here is a good Hosts file:

MVPS Hosts File

A tutorial about Hosts File can be found at Malware Removal.

Make sure your Windows is ALWAYS up to date!

An unpatched Windows is vulnerable and even with the "best" Antivirus and Firewall installed, malware will find its way through.
So visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to download and install the latest updates.

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.

Here is some great information from experts in this field that will help you stay clean and safe online.
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 13th, 2008, 10:04 am

Hi,
I connect via a wireless network connection to the internet, so I don't have the tabs that you note.
Will await your response.
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Scotty » July 13th, 2008, 10:17 am

Are you talking about the section to "Obtain DNS automatically"?
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 13th, 2008, 10:36 am

Yes I am. Under network connections I have two icons, Local Area Connection which is disabled, and Wireless Connection which is connected. The latter has no such tabs.
Am working on cleaning up Java.
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Scotty » July 13th, 2008, 10:41 am

Funnily enough neither do I.

After you right-click the wireless connection, and select properties do you see a box under the heading
This connection uses the following items?

At the bottom is Internet protocols (TCP/IP). Double click that.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 13th, 2008, 2:43 pm

All taken care of--I have updated and downloaded as per your suggestions.

Many thanks indeed for all of your help--much appreciated!
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 13th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Since posting the last remarks, I now have trouble accessing websites. I downloaded service pack 3. The connection icon shows that I am still connected, but I cannot browse for more than a few minutes at a time without disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet.
Please advise.
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Scotty » July 14th, 2008, 10:26 am

Hi

Just a few questions.
1. Did the problems begin before or after installing SP3?
2. Did they start after we flushed the DNS cache?
3. Are there particular websites it will not access, or just any at random?
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 14th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Hi,
The problems began after installing SP3
and after flushing the DNS cache
I can access sites (before, I didn't realise I was being repeatedly disconnected from the internet), but I get dropped after 3 to 10 minutes. Clicking 'repair' on the wireless connection, or disabling and re-enabling does get me reconnected, but only for those minutes. I still have the problem.
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Scotty » July 15th, 2008, 8:05 am

What is the wireless router you use and ISP? I can see if there is a conflict with your hardware and SP3.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 15th, 2008, 8:32 am

Hi,
Netgear and Time Warner cable.
Hiking_citdiner

Unread postby Hiking_citdiner » July 15th, 2008, 9:48 am

Hi,
I removed SP3, and since then I have been continuously connected for 40 minutes, a record.
So I am optimistic that it is good now.
Hiking_citdiner

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!