Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

hijack this log

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

hijack this log

Unread postby xxkelx07 » February 18th, 2008, 9:05 pm

i know close to zero about stuff like spyware on my computer. but, an ex left this on my computer and it's kind of been acting weird and i have yet to get a antivirus program. sooo if someone could just tell me if anything is here that shouldn't be, that'd be great. thanks!

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 6:58:40 PM, on 2/18/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Sprint music manager\MEMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kel\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: MEMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sprint music manager\MEMonitor.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HOTSYNCSHORTCUTNAME.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ares Chatroom server (AresChatServer) - Ares Development Group - C:\Program Files\Ares\chatServer.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 2871 bytes
xxkelx07

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: hijack this log

Unread postby Katana » February 22nd, 2008, 9:50 am

Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Unless informed of in advance, failure to post replies within 5 days will result in this thread being closed.

Hello and welcome to the forums

My name is Katana and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please observe these rules while we work:
1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
2. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
3. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"
(Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

If you can do those three things, everything should go smoothly :D

I apologize for the delay in responding, but as you can probably see the forums are quite busy
and sometimes a post manages to slip by us.
Unfortunately there are far more people needing help than there are helpers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know close to zero about stuff like spyware on my computer.

Don't worry, we will guide you through the removal process and give you some info on how to stay safe :)

No Antivirus

Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that you have anti-virus software running on your machine.
This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
Free AV list
AVG Free
Avira AntiVir
Avast

Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week.
If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

Antivirus is a MUST

The Beta version of HJT is now out of date. Please download the latest version.

Download HJT

Click here to download HJTinstall.exe
  • Save HJTinstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click on the HJTinstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\\Program Files\\Trend Micro\\Hijack This.
  • Click I accept
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  • Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Download and Run ComboFix (by sUBs)
Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading and running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofi ... e-combofix

Post the log from ComboFix when you've accomplished that, along with a new HijackThis log.

Installed Programs

Please could you give me a list of the programs that are installed.
  • Start HijackThis
  • Click on the Misc Tools button
  • Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
You will see a list with the programs installed in your computer.
Click on save list button and specify where you would like to save this file.
When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.
Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad into your next post.

IMPORTANT I notice there are signs of one or more P2P (Person to Person) File Sharing Programs on your computer.

Ares

I'd like you to read the Guidelines for P2P Programs where we explain why it's not a good idea to have them.

Also available here.

My recommendation is you go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the programs listed above (in red).
Please note: you must NOT use this whilst we are cleaning your machine.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby xxkelx07 » February 22nd, 2008, 10:56 pm

I use Ares to download music, though. Is there a better program I could/should be using?
xxkelx07

Unread postby Katana » February 22nd, 2008, 11:03 pm

xxkelx07 wrote:I use Ares to download music, though. Is there a better program I could/should be using?

The legalities of P2P is a minefield
We don't advise on which P2P programs to use as such, we just advise on why you shouldn't use any :)

You have no idea if the music track that you are downloading is infected.
This can be said whichever P2P client you use.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Elrond » March 2nd, 2008, 7:00 am

Due to lack of response this topic is now closed.

If you still need help open a new thread in the Malware Removal forum and wait for a new helper.

If you have been helped and wish to donate to help with the costs of this volunteer site, please read Donations For Malware Removal

Elrond
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!