Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
We can now remove Combofix. To do this, do the following:
Go to Start > Run - type in ComboFix /u & click OK
This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
- Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
- Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
- Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
- Select drive will open. Click OK
- Either a scan will open up and take a few minutes or it will go directly to Disk Cleanup for ...
- Select the More options tab
- Find System Restore. Click Clean up
Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
- Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
- Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
- If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
- If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
- If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
- Click OK
- Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
- Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
- Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
- Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
- Comodo BOCLEAN <= Stop identity thieves from getting personal information. Instantly detects well over 1,000,000 unique, variant and repack malware in total. And it's free.
- Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software
Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!
The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.
Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place
Also visit this page to read up on prevention:
Happy surfing and stay clean!